This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Well, everyone’s finally getting settled into 2024 with new habits being made or old routines being lost. But if you’re like me, you’re somewhere in the middle and ready for a challenge so take your pick: 75 hard or 75 soft.

75 hard: 75 days of a vigorous wellness transformation

The rules are simple, but not for the fainthearted. This method is designed to improve fitness, overall health, and mentality in a structured and intense way. It might take a heck of a lot of effort yet it creates a health regime that some people enjoy. Think you want to do it? Here’s the rules:

1. Pick one diet in addition to no alcohol(for the readers who are 21+) and no cheat meals/days

2. Exercise twice a day, both for 45 minutes and one session must be outside

3. Drink a gallon of water every day

4. Read 10 pages every day of a non-fiction book

5. Take a picture every day to mark your progress

6. You miss a day? Then you start the whole challenge over.

The 75 hard challenge is called a challenge for a reason, exercising twice a day every day can be a massive adjustment. So before you go straight in to something that is drastically different from your current lifestyle, maybe consider other options such as 75 soft.

75 soft: 75 days of a flexible wellness transformation

Yet again the rules are straightforward, but apart from 75 hard, this challenge is definitely more forgiving. It gives a better chance to ease into a potentially more balanced lifestyle that gets you on the right track with the right habits. If you’re interested in beginning with this one like me, here’s what we have to follow:

1. Eat healthy and drink alcohol(again, just for 21+) only during social occasions

2. Exercise once a day for 45 minutes with one rest day during the weekly cycle

3. Drink 3 liters(or about 12 cups) of water each day

4. Read 10 pages of any book

You’ll notice that within these 75 days you don’t have to take progress pictures or start over if you skip a day!

Really though, what these challenges are getting at is creating a balanced lifestyle that involves some form of exercise, healthy eating, and a positive mindset. Even if you go outside for a quick walk, choose water instead of soda, or engage in a pastime you find interesting, these are ways to establishing wellness in your life. After the January blues, I know I’m ready to start working towards that hot girl summer. Best of luck!

Alannah Anderson is currently a writer at NC State University. Alannah is pursuing a degree in Marine Science with an intended minor in Spanish. She hopes someday to dive with sharks and help put a stop to the shark finning industry. In high school, Alannah took part in band, basketball, Rotary Interact, Best Buddies, and science and engineering. One of her favorite classes was English Literature and Composition where she got to write poetry and read texts such as A Doll's House by Henrick Ibsen and Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. In her free time, Alannah likes to watch movies, some of her favorites including Jaws, Austin Powers, Miracle, and Air. She also enjoys going for hikes and seeing hockey games with her friends. When she's not at home or with her friends, Alannah is frequently visiting new places or trying new foods. She gained her love for traveling after living in South Carolina, California, Pennsylvania, Ireland, Massachusetts, and now North Carolina. One of her fondest trips was to Spain with her classmates where she visited the Alhambra and Plaza de España. Alannah is excited to be a part of Her Campus as she wants to help make college an enjoyable and fun experience for women pursuing higher education.