Style > Beauty

Skincare Products That Are ACTUALLY Worth Your Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

For the longest time, acne, dull skin, and blackheads have always been one of my biggest struggles when it comes to my skin. In middle and high school I let this battle consume me until I decided to finally make a change in how I take care of my skin. With the help of family, friends, and TikTok, I have found the perfect products that leave my skin glowy and calms breakouts.

Step 1: Makeup Remover

Removing your makeup is one of the most crucial steps to making sure you aren’t clogging your pores and continuing the cycle of acne. Throughout the years, I have learned that using makeup wipes isn’t the best form of removing makeup because frequent use can cause micro-tears in the skin. I have since discovered makeup cleansing balm which will take off all face and eye makeup. My favorite affordable cleansing balm is The Inkey List Oat Cleansing Balm because you get so much product for $11.99 and it doesn’t break me out.

Step 2: Cleanser

Although I remove my makeup with the cleansing balm, it is extremely important to use a cleanser afterward because the balm doesn’t fully remove all the makeup. This process is known as “double-cleansing.” When I became more interested in skincare, a friend recommended a cleanser with snail mucin. It sounds strange at first, but snail mucin has incredible benefits and is frequently used in Korean skincare. The best cleanser that I have tried with snail mucin is the Peach Slices Snail Rescue Purifying Cleanser . Since using this cleanser, I have seen less blackheads as well as tighter skin.

Step 3: Toner

Back when I was a skincare newbie, I never understood the importance of using a toner. Toner takes off the remainder of dirt or makeup left on the face, as well as heal any breakouts or dark spots. When I have more cystic acne and need an exfoliating toner, I will use the Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant two times a week. With this toner, it is important to start slow because it’s a potent product and can be drying if used too often. For a more regular-use toner, I use the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner because it is good for pores but is also very hydrating.

Step 4: Moisturizer

Although I have an oily skin type, I know that it’s key to moisturize so my skin doesn’t overproduce sebum. My favorite type of moisturizer for oily skin is a water-based moisturizer because I find that it doesn’t leave my skin feeling “greasy.” The best one I have used is the innisfree Dewy Glow Moisturizer with Cherry Blossom & Niacinamide because it’s a light moisturizer that hydrates my skin and makes it feel plump.

Step 5: Spot Treatment

In the past, I used spot treatment cream but found it to be very drying on my skin. My favorite spot treatment that diminishes the look of acne in one day is pimple patches. I am very picky about which brand I use because some brands work and some do not. The best pimple patches that I can ALWAYS rely on are the Hero Cosmetics Mighty Patch Original . These flatten the pimple in one night without drying the skin around the pimple.

Extra Steps/Products:

Every once in a while, I will use different face masks to help the appearance of my skin. My two favorites are the Peach Slices Snail Rescue Intensive Wash-Off Jelly Mask and the innisfree Volcanic AHA Pore Clearing Clay Mask . Both are masks that help with acne and blackheads but are not drying. I will also occasionally use an eye cream to help with dark circles. The one I use is the Glow Recipe Avocado Fine Line Eye Cream with Retinol and I find it helps with the appearance of fine lines and makeup can sit on top of it without creasing. Lastly, your lips are so important! I always make sure I put something on my lips before bed so they are hydrated and ready for lipstick the next day. My new discovery that I found through TikTok is the rhode skin Peptide Lip Treatment. This treatment comes in a watermelon, salted caramel, and an unscented flavor and truly hydrates your lips. It is so glossy and pretty so I will also layer this on top of lipstick!

While my skin is not perfect, these products have transformed the way my skin looks and has limited my cystic and hormonal breakouts. Confidence is key, and this newfound skincare routine has helped me in so many ways! Happy shopping!

Halle Fisher is the Marketing/Events Coordinator of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for creating team bonding events, promoting events/articles/brand partnerships, and fundraising. This is her second year on Her Campus and as Marketing/Events Coordinator. Outside of Her Campus, Halle is active within her community. She was Vice President of her high school's chapter of Tri-M Music Honors Society and was the Communications manager for the Ronald McDonald House Club. She also performed in Chamber Choir throughout her high school career. In college, Halle is an active member of Delta Zeta (Omicron-Lambda) at NC State and serves as their Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Chairman. In 2023, Halle created social media content and held events in partnership with Urban Decay Cosmetics and Uber Eats. This year she hopes to continue her journey as a Business Administration major and learn more about the industry! Halle is originally from Long Island, NY, and currently resides in Cary, NC with her younger sister and two dogs. She enjoys going to concerts, hanging out with friends, traveling, and makeup. She has been able to see some of her favorite artists in concert such as Taylor Swift, SZA, Lana Del Rey, and Sabrina Carpenter. Her favorite genre of television is reality TV as her favorite show is Jersey Shore.