Wellness > Mental Health

Positive ways to deal with seasonal depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Seasonal Depression is a very real thing that anybody can experience. It’s when the air gets colder and the important holidays are coming up, and some people tend to become saddened or depressed. Here are some tips to cope with seasonal depression this coming winter in a positive way.

• Dress Cozy
  • Cuddle Up With a Movie
  • Go for a Walk/Exercise
  • Start a New Hobby
  • Restart Your Comfort Show

Dress Cozy

During the Fall and Winter seasons, it’s important to make yourself feel warm and cozy! I love Fall and Winter clothing and all things fuzzy. For me, feeling warm and cozy and cranking down the apartment AC is a great feeling. First things first, get some fuzzy socks to keep your feet warm and toasty. Next, get a baggy sweater out of your closet and throw it on with no shame. Next, put on some black leggings, or multicolor leggings if you’re feeling fun! Finally, put on some slippers or fuzzy uggs (or ugg-like knock-offs). Feeling cozy makes me feel warm and happy.

Cuddle up with a movie

Sometimes, it’s OKAY to be in your feels. It’s OKAY to allow yourself to be alone. Sometimes I like to get a fuzzy blanket and put on a “feel-good” movie. My favorite “feel good” movies include “Clueless”, “A Cinderella Story”, “Footloose”, “Miss Congeniality”, “Legally Blonde”, etc.

Go for a walk/exercise

Honestly, I am not the most athletic person, but going for a walk can clear your mind and boost your endorphins, and as the famous Elle Woods said “Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy! Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands.” Any type of exercise can help you clear your mind and think about what is important. Also, walking in cold weather in a cozy sweater can be quite calming with the brisk breeze of winter.

Start a new hobby

Any seasonal hobby is a great way to take your mind off things that are stressing you out or making you sad. Take up baking and you have delicious treats to eat and also share with your friends and others! Take up anything with yarn like crocheting or pompom making, you have beautiful and cute decorations! Take up painting or drawing and it can let you express your creativity! There are multiple hobbies that can make your feelings elevate and make others happy as well!

Restart your comfort show

A “comfort show” is a tv show that you have seen at least two times. It makes you feel comfortable and happy. People watch their comfort shows because they know what is going to happen, but they love it so much that it is worth re-watching. My personal comfort shows are “Friends” and “NCIS”. Even though I’ve seen the whole “Friends” series multiple times, it is a show that never gets old and I can be happy watching. “NCIS” is mysterious and provides comedic relief from time to time. Other comfort shows that people enjoy include “The Office”, “Gilmore Girls”, “Jane the Virgin”, and “How I Met Your Mother”.

So if you’re feeling the winter blues, try doing any of these things to make you more comfortable and lighten your mood!

A fun loving college girl who is obsessed with dogs and the bachelor :)