This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

With Thanksgiving approaching and the thanksgiving recipes starting to pile up, you might be wondering what the most popular thanksgiving side dishes are. It is hard to say what they are in a specific ranking, but I am going to tell what my favorites are.

You are probably going to see some of your favorites on this list and if there is some missing let me know!

Number 5

Cranberry Sauce

There is always debate about whether this is a real side dish but if you consider smothering everything you are eating with this, I will say Yes. It compliments all other side dishes and even main courses well and has a sweet yet tart taste to it that I absolutely love.

Number 4

Cornbread

If I am being honest, I used to not be a big fan of cornbread (which is funny because I have grown up in the South). This classic southern dish is always a staple in households and has a way to everyone’s heart.

number 3

Sweet Potato Casserole

Everyone has their own little spin on this classic, but my mom makes it simply. She just adds some cinnamon and sugar and tops it off with marshmallows; she lets the sweet potato flavor stay and I love eating it.

Number 2

Mashed Potatoes

I love this dish so much that you can catch me eating it year-round. There are so many ways to make it with so many different types of consistencies and that is what makes it great. My personal favorite is adding in all different spices, with a chunkier consistency and lots of cheese on top.

number 1

Mac n’ Cheese

This is my favorite side dish and for good reason; I love cheese. You simply cannot go wrong with pasta in a creamy cheese sauce. Whether its baked or made in a pot or both, mac n’ cheese will always have a special place in my heart.

My name is Rose Soltani and I am a writer of Her Campus at NC State University. I love writing and sharing my thoughts and ideas with everyone! I am a 4th year Business Administration Major with a Concentration in Marketing and I am also minoring in Middle East Studies. Upon graduation I am looking forward to attending law school due to my passion for law and legal rights issues. In the summer of 2022, I was fortunate enough to be a part of Duke University Law School's Pre-Law Fellowship. I learned so much valuable information about preparing for law school as well as the legal field. This past summer, I focused on studying for the LSAT. I was raised in Charlotte, NC and am the oldest of 3 children. I have 2 younger brothers so I love spending time with when I am back at home. I love baking, traveling, going for walks, and spending time with family and friends in my free time. Some of my favorite movies include How to Lose a Guy in 10 days and Father of the Bride.