hub?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
hub?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Ins + Outs of 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Happy New Year! It’s officially 2024, the start of the new year means new beginnings and being able to try out new things. This year, instead of coming up with a new year’s resolution (that I will ultimately abandon half way through the year), I’ve decided to come up with ins and outs for the new year. Pick some habits or clothing and makeup trends that you enjoy or that you don’t enjoy, and put them under your ins and outs. The things you love or want to try are in and the things you don’t love or want to get rid of are outs. Here are some of my ins and outs for 2024!

INS:

1. Sambas 

Sambas are easily a staple piece for your wardrobe! You can pretty much wear them with everything and dress them up or down. Not to mention, if you’re bored of the basic Samba look, you can always customize it to your liking by adding ribbons and charms. There are countless colorways to choose from, so there will never not be a pair you wouldn’t like. These are an in for me this year. 

1. Journaling 

There are SO many possibilities when it comes to journaling. There’s guided journaling, bullet journaling, scrapbooking, and so much more. It’s such a good stress reliever and creative outlet, you just have to find the journaling method that works best for you. Personally, I journal first thing in the morning so I can set my intentions for the day. 

1. Ice rolling 

If there’s one thing you need to be doing if you aren’t already, it’s ice rolling! I love ice rolling first thing in the morning when I wake up. It helps depuff my face but also helps wake me up. Ice rolling is definitely a game changer and I will keep doing it all throughout 2024! 

1. Prioritizing yourself 

If there’s one thing 2023 taught me, it’s that I need to be more selfish. In 2024, we are NOT bending over backwards for people who would not do the same thing for you! Take time for yourself and treat yourself to things you love. Don’t feel guilty for doing things for yourself, it’s okay to choose yourself over others. 

1. Early mornings 

This might be controversial, but I think early mornings are in for 2024. Early bird or not, you need to try waking up early. I usually wake up around 8 and it gives me the time to be alone with myself and set my intentions for the rest of the day. Not only that, it feels like I’m able to accomplish more things throughout the day since I got an early start. Just try waking up early at least one week this year, I swear, you’ll notice such a difference! 

Outs:

1. Settling for less 

One mistake I made last year was settling for less when I shouldn’t. Like honestly, my nineteen years of living should have taught me not to, but sometimes we never learn. 2024 is the year we stop settling for less. Don’t let anyone walk over you because of the way they’re feeling and be firm in what you want. 

1. FOMO 

Everyone has gotten FOMO at some point, but don’t let that control whether or not you stay in or go out! Go out when you want to, not because you feel like you have to. Trust me, going out is so much more fun when you’re having a good time, not because you felt obligated since all your friends aree going out. 

1. Overthinking 

If you’re anything like me, you overthink everything. Sometimes it can’t be helped, but sometimes we need to tell ourselves that everything is going to be okay. 2024 is the year of letting go of negative thoughts that don’t serve us any purpose! (Including you overthinking that one conversation you had with him). 

1. Not taking your makeup off before bed 

Admit it, we’re all guilty of this, but in 2024 we have to start taking off makeup for bed! It doesn’t matter if you’re too tired, your skin will thank you in the morning. Not to mention, just think of all that makeup that’s on your pillow that you’re sleeping in. 2024 is the year of clear skin! 

1. Procrastinating 

I know, I know, we all say we’re going to stop procrastinating, but that never really works out. This year, in order to help stop my procrastinating, I’ve started to plan my week out with everything that I need to do for the week. That way, I can better plan out each individual day within that week. This has helped me with my procrastination so much, as I have a routine to follow throughout the day. 

Mischa Xiong is currently a freshman at NC State University.. This will be her first year in Her Campus. She is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and learn from her fellow members. In high school, Mischa was president of her school's Hmong Dance Team. She has a love for everything fashion and pop culture. Writing has been a passion of her's ever since she was young. Mischa is currently majoring in Philosophy of Law. After graduation, she hopes to attend law school and obtain her Juris Doctorate; later to become a lawyer or doing work in the government. Mischa was born in Hickory, North Carolina. She has one sister and two dogs, Pretzel and Brownie. She enjoys shopping, listening to music, watching movies, and hanging out with her friends. Some of her favorite artists are Taylor Swift, Lana del Rey, Drake, Olivia Rodrigo, and BTS. She has seen the K-pop group in concert multiple times. Some of her favorite movies include Pride and Prejudice, Avatar: The Way of Water, Call Me by Your Name, and all the Twilight films. In the future, she hopes to be able to travel around the world.