Wellness

My In’s and Out’s For 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I’m sure you have seen the trend on TikTok, “In’s and Out’s for 2024”.  It is where we curate what’s hot to embrace and bid farewell and leave behind in 2023. As someone who is eagerly anticipating my best year yet, I have crafted my list to guide myself for the remainder of the year! 

In’s:

Not procrastinating

Every year, the mantra is the same, yet being in college, it truly dawned on me how harmful of a habit it is.

Saying yes

I found myself hesitating to say yes—especially when it came to dinner invitations and nights out. When the first semester ended, I realized that my approach left me yearning for the experiences I missed out on. So far this year, I’ve made a conscious effort to embrace spontaneity and I am so glad I did!

Drinking more water

This is self-explanatory. 

Posting what I want

I used to let the fear of not being ‘good’ or ‘cool’ enough dictate my posting choices. It’s ridiculous, I know. This paranoia held me back from sharing incredible experiences. Since the beginning of the year (just one month in!) I’ve posted three times and regret absolutely nothing! 

Cooking

Being in college, I am used to eating out so much. Whether it’s using up my dining dollars or meal swipes, I miss home-cooked meals, so it’s time to chef it up in the kitchen and try out new recipes!

Complimenting strangers

Complimenting strangers is a personal favorite of mine, though my anxiety often holds me back. It is incredible the amount of positive energy that is spread from just a simple statement! It will uplift spirits like no other!

Being bold

Despite my extroverted nature, boldness has always felt like uncharted territory. College became my space for bold experiments—conversations with unfamiliar faces and venturing into unexplored realms! I am going into 204 confident and bold!

Out’s:

Snapchat

I find myself at a crossroads with Snapchat. It seems I’ve outgrown the app, feeling that meaningful conversations often get lost in the abruptness of it all.

Impulse purchases

I’m guilty of falling for those irresistible impulse purchases, especially when it comes to the latest makeup trends. But as per my mom’s advice, if that tempting find is still on your mind 24 hours later, it’s a green light to make it yours. Trust me, your wallet (and future self) will thank you!

Being self-conscious

Whether I am in the gym or in the library I always feel like I’m being judged and im not sure why. Thoughts of what others might think have taken a toll on my self-image, shaping my actions and choices. This is SO out, It is so freeing when you stop caring about what others think.

Mindless scrolling

Ever find yourself lost in the abyss of TikTok or Instagram, only to look up and realize hours have slipped away? It’s extremely draining, especially knowing I am doing something so bad but I cannot stop. It truly is addictive and it’s time to break free.

Waking up late

Let’s be real—there’s something relatable about waking up late and feeling guilty when 7 pm rolls around, and the day seems to slip through our fingers. By having plans set for the day, you feel so productive by completing one thing after another. Let’s get on that grind!

Mahi Patel is a writer at Her Campus NC State University. She is responsible for writing and publishing articles, participating in all meetings, attending events, and participating in events. This is her first year on Her Campus. Before Her Campus, Mahi started a chapter of Junior State of America in high school. During her summers, she would intern at pharmacies and blood banks to figure out what she wanted to continue her higher education in. She is currently a freshman at NC State University and is undecided. She plans on majoring in Statistics. After graduation, she plans to work for one of her favorite brands as a corporate actuary and hopes to pursue her passions of modeling and acting. Mahi was born and raised in Apex, NC, with her younger brother and her parents. During her free time, she loves to hangout with her friends, try different restaurants, listen to music, cook, travel around the world, and watch movies! She is a huge fan of American rapper Post Malone but has yet to go to his concert. Some of her favorite shows and movies that she keeps near and dear to her heart are The Maze Runner movies , The 100, and Hawaii 5-0.