This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Finding yourself in a funk is discouraging. We’ve all been there–you don’t feel at your best but can’t put a finger on what’s wrong. Recovering from a funk can feel difficult, but it is far from impossible. Focus on these five tips and you’ll feel more like yourself in no time.

Listen to yourself.

It’s easy to get caught up in the motions of a busy schedule and suppress your feelings. Try to notice warning signs that your body and mind are not in the best state.  In moments throughout your day, be vigilant in acknowledging how you feel and responding to these feelings with your best interest in mind. If you notice yourself feeling tired, consider taking a short nap or going to bed early. If you feel that your social battery is drained, set aside some time to spend by yourself. Plan your day so that you have time to decompress and take care of yourself in between completing other tasks on your to-do list

Maintain your living space.

Your living space can have a huge impact on your mental state and well-being. Cleaning your space can not only make you feel productive, but it can alleviate stress and make you feel more composed and organized. Clutter in your room can create clutter in your mind, and seemingly small efforts to clean up your space can make a big difference. Try to set small goals for yourself, such as taking out the trash or making your bed. 

Keep up with personal hygiene.

During times of stress, having confidence in yourself can make you feel more capable and prepared for your day. Showering, brushing your teeth, and taking care of yourself can help you get out of a funk and back in your rhythm. Think about what self-care routines you enjoy–it could be teeth whitening, a face mask, or getting your nails done. Taking care of your hygiene can make you feel more like yourself again and boost your confidence.

Reconnect with your passions.

When you’re in a funk, you often don’t feel like yourself. Consider activities and hobbies that you like and make an effort to reconnect with them. This can help you get in touch with yourself and brighten your day. It could be as simple as listening to music that you haven’t listened to in a while, or it could be more of a commitment, such as joining a recreational soccer league. It’s important to make time for things that bring you joy. 

Stay active.

Staying active is great for your physical well-being and for your mental health. Try to dedicate 30 minutes a day to the physical activity that you choose. Experiment with different activities, such as running, swimming, lifting weights, or walking. Try a new group workout class or exercise outdoors. Exercising has been proven to relieve stress, improve focus, and improve self-esteem. It can help you take your mind off anything you’re struggling with and allow you to clear your thoughts.

Remember, getting out of a funk can take time and patience, but focus on taking care of yourself and the rest will follow.

Emily Vespa is a first-year at NC State in English with a Concentration in Rhetoric and Professional Writing. In her free time, she enjoys reading, drawing, and swimming.