Life > Experiences

How to NOT Break the Bank: Spring Break Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

With spring break right around the corner, here are some ways you can have a great time without breaking the bank!

1. Cook at Home: Some people may just want to relax on vacation, but if you are able to try getting groceries and cooking instead of eating out for every meal. This can work whether you are staying at an Airbnb or a hotel. Breakfast is probably one of the easiest things you can get groceries for because the place you are staying at probably comes with a kitchen or a small fridge or microwave. Try your best to get non-perishable items just in case your place doesn’t come with any of the things listed above. You can never go wrong with sandwiches for breakfast or even lunch! If you are going to be at the beach, getting fruit for your time there instead of paying for acai bowls is a great way to save you some money! Dinner is something you may be able to ‘splurge’ on but just see what works for you!
  2. Drink Before (21+): Just like the tip above, if you are 21+ and are thinking about going out, try saving money on drinks by drinking before you go out (pre-gaming). Drinks are usually overpriced at restaurants and bars so if you are able to and everyone is being safe, pre-gaming beforehand is a great way to save money on drinks out.
  3. Find Deals: If you are going to a spring break destination with a busy nightlife scene, then try looking for deals for the bar or club scene. Many places do bundles or wrist band deals letting you in with unlimited drinks for a certain price. Other places that are known for their “day club” scene, have the same concept during daytime hours. There are also other activities you can do like snorkeling or jet-skiing that may cut the cost down if you are in a larger group.
  4. Pick Cheaper Activities: If you are going somewhere near the coast for spring break, then chances are the beach near you is completely free. There are plenty of places for you to visit that don’t cost a lot. Museums and art districts are also super cool places to go to that don’t have to cost a fortune.
  5. Take turns driving: If you are able, try taking turns driving instead of taking ride services! Ubers and Lyfts can add up quickly, but if you and your friends take turns driving then the only thing you are paying for is gas. It also depends on if the area you are visiting has free/cheap parking so just make sure to do your research.

Spring break doesn’t have to cost a lot. The point is to have fun with your friends despite what you are doing. Be safe and have a good time, but try out these tips and see how much they’ll save you!

My name is Rose Soltani and I am a writer of Her Campus at NC State University. I love writing and sharing my thoughts and ideas with everyone! I am a 4th year Business Administration Major with a Concentration in Marketing and I am also minoring in Middle East Studies. Upon graduation I am looking forward to attending law school due to my passion for law and legal rights issues. In the summer of 2022, I was fortunate enough to be a part of Duke University Law School's Pre-Law Fellowship. I learned so much valuable information about preparing for law school as well as the legal field. This past summer, I focused on studying for the LSAT. I was raised in Charlotte, NC and am the oldest of 3 children. I have 2 younger brothers so I love spending time with when I am back at home. I love baking, traveling, going for walks, and spending time with family and friends in my free time. Some of my favorite movies include How to Lose a Guy in 10 days and Father of the Bride.