How to Be More Appreciative this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Now that Halloween has passed, this season of thanks is among us. November is a month to be more appreciative and grateful for all you have or all you have worked for in life. We get so busy in our day to day lives that it can be hard to remember how fortunate we are. November is a very special time for my family and I. We remember those who have passed on and are no longer with us, and are reminded of how blessed we are to have each other. Now whether you are close to your family or not, these are some of the ways I recommend to be more thankful this November. 

This time of year I find myself being the busiest I have ever been. With that being said, it is difficult to take the time to actually realize all I have accomplished. I recommend taking at least five minutes when you wake up, before going on your phone, to meditate. Now meditation does not have to be extraneous or hard work. However, if you take the time to actually remember all you have and all you work towards, I guarantee you will have a more positive outlook on life. 

Additionally, if meditation is not up your alley, journaling is another great way to commend all the positive aspects in your life. There are tons of studies conducted that show the positive effects of visualizing one’s achievements. However you choose to take the time and evaluate your life, it is important to take this gratefulness the next step forward and pay it back. 

One of the small practices I participate in this time of the year is actively telling those who I am thankful for, that I am thankful for them! It is such an easy task, but is overlooked by many. By reminding those in our lives how grateful we are for them, it not only builds the relationship stronger, but allows the recipient to feel appreciated. If there is one thing to take away from this article it is this:

Tell your loved ones you love them.

You never know how much time anyone has on this Earth, and it is important to really remind those around you how loved they are. This simple activity mutually benefits both parties, and encourages more acts of kindness.

Moreover, for someone looking to do more, Thanksgiving offers an abundance of opportunities for community service. It is so easy to pay back your appreciation through community service to those who are less fortunate than you. Any duration or amount of time volunteering, impacts another person in this world. 

Most importantly, being appreciative and giving back is an act that society needs to do more. It is so simple and beneficial. I encourage you all to go out and participate in something that demonstrates your appreciation to another person.

I am a North Carolina State University student double majoring in Business Marketing and Economics.