How I Created my “Perfect Playlist”, and How You Can Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I have always believed that music was my outlet— whether that involved being stressed and reaching for the classic “vibes” playlist, or having a bad day and finding an emotional release in my “cry it out” playlist, allowing myself to take a moment of emotional release to some old Kelly Clarkson and Billie Eilish. However, my “feel good” and “coming of age movie” playlists are my go-to mood-booster playlists. When it came time to take my “car” playlist and condense it into a “no skips” playlist, I put a lot of pressure on it. I wanted to curate my perfect playlist. So how did I do it?

Understanding the freedom within your music taste!

You don’t have to be defined as only liking country music, or only listening to rap, etc. I appreciate all different kinds of music, so putting my favorites into a list allowed a lot of fluidity between the genres in the playlist! 

Keep it short.

In order to make sure I didn’t revert back to my old habits and create a playlist like “car” with over 1000 songs, I was picky with what I included within “no skips”.

Make sure you have a connection to the music.

These songs should be your all-time favorites, with memories attached to the music! For example, I included a few of my favorite songs from The Neighborhood because of my long-time love for the band as well as the memories the songs bring back from their concert I went to! I also included what I think of as “classic” songs, music that I correlated with my childhood, including Fleetwood Mac because of my Grandparents’ admiration for the band and how they talked about going to their concerts in the 70s and 80s.

Balance.

While I understand some people may not fit into my first point, and they do only like one genre of music, creating a playlist is about setting a mood or creating background noise for life’s events. Creating my perfect playlist involved including a variety of music, from my previously mentioned favorite Neighbourhood and Fleetwood Mac songs to Luke Combs, Ariana Grande, Childish Gambino, and Mac Miller. 

I hope these points serve as good parameters for creating your perfect playlist!! It’s important to remember that everyone’s music taste is different, yet everyone seems to appreciate all kinds of music! Create playlists that you love and I guarantee you will see a change in your perspective on life and creativity. 

Please DM me your “perfect playlist” on Instagram!! I’d love to check it out.

My apple music is @akyeno

Hi there! I am a junior majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Buisness Admin, from Charlotte, NC! I'm so excited about this opportunity to turn my hobby of writing into something more <3
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU