Here are my 2023 Favorites that I will bring into 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Now we are in 2024, I want to reflect on the previous year. Lets take a peek back at some of my (random) favorites of a 2023, coming from a 20-year-old college student. I believe in finding items that can be used for a long time and I hope to use these products throughout the next few years. Hope you find something you like from the list below.

1. Dossier perfumes

You have probably seen Dossier sponsorships all over social media but I can here to tell you, they are really that good (this is not sponsored, I promise). If you are unaware, Dossier is a perfume company that is known for making dupes of popular perfumes for a fraction of the price. In my experience, all of the perfumes I have tried have smelled exactly like the inspired perfume, they even last as long, if not longer than the originals. Another great thing I love about these perfumes is they take away the status around “brand-names”. In 2023 I felt as if I was overwhelmed with trends centered around expensive brands, so Dossier felt like a breath of fresh air. I have been ordering these perfumes since 2022 and nothing bets them. Some of my recommendations are “Woody Raspberry” and “Ambery Vanilla”.

2. Owala water bottle

The water bottle debate has caused major discourse over the last few years. First it was the Hydroflask, and now the Stanley. Water bottle have seem to be a trend changing just as fast as fashion. The water bottle that stood out to me the most in 2023 was the Owala brand water bottles. I have had my bottle for about 6 months and it is one of my favorite investments of the year. The brand offered a wide array of limited color drops throughout the year offering a large range for everyone. Because of the multifunction lid and strong exterior, this is a bottle I will be using for as long as possible.

3. Early 2000’s reality Tv

I warned this list would be random. One of my favorite past times of 2023 was a variety of early 2000’s reality TV. Some of my favorites this year was the first few season of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, the Hills, Laguna Beach, and America’s Next Top Model. 2023 was definitely a hard year for many people, so I think that a little bit of reality TV set 20 years ago is a good for the soul.

4. Eyelash Serum

Something that has completely changed my makeup routine was the use of eyelash serum. After using eyelash serum all last year, I don’t even feel the need to put on mascara every time I do my makeup. When I do put on my mascara, my eyelashes look as full and long as ever. If you were considering getting eyelash extensions in 2024, I recommend using eyelash serum first. You are probably wondering, “What eyelash serum is the best?” In my opinion, I think BabeLash is the best, but you should always do prior research before use. Another important factor is it took a few month for me to see results, so this product takes some patience (but totally worth it!).

5. Shuffles

Another, less physical, favorite of 2023 is the app Shuffles, created by Pinterest. Shuffles in an app that syncs to Pinterests allowing you to make collages biased off your pins. The app also offers popular cutouts and stickers that can easily used in your collages. I love this app for making phone screensavers and mood boards. Did I mention the best part? It’s totally free on the app store. If you want to feel creative while not being the most creatively inclined, I recommend Shuffles. (Check out one I created below.)

6. Greek Yogurt

Ok, this one might seem a little random, but what is a 2023 favorites without food? A snack I have really enjoyed in 2023 is greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is an amazing option because it offers a high amount of protein in comparison to other breakfast/snack options. Another huge benefit of this snack is it tastes so good. My favorite greek yogurt brand, Chobani, offers a huge variety of flavors. Some of my favorites include lime, blueberry, vanilla, and peach.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/59109813853388573/

7. depop

Depop, and second hand clothing sites, have been a staple for me this past year. The reason I feel like Depop and similar apps are super helpful because they help reduce fashion waste. A lot of people end up throwing their clothing in landfills when they are done with them. Depop allows people to sell their unwanted clothes to all users on the app. I not only love this app because I can find cool clothing and accessories at a good price, but I also can sell a lot of my clothing in 2023. In 2023 I made a decent amount of money off of clothes I would have thrown away. Also, the direct deposit made it easy to buy and sell my clothing with a sense of security.

8. Workout classes

While this one might seem vague, I think a lot of people would workout more effciently through workout classes. Many find the gym to be intimidating to newbies so workout classes can help that anxiety. Since I am a broke college students, I took majority of my workout classes free through my school gym. Majority of universities offer workout classes through the gym such as cycling and yoga. Another way to get workout classes at a discounted rate is through ClassPass. I used ClassPass over the summer when I wasn’t at school and it helped me save a lot of money and try many different kinds of classes. Another way to try workout classes is free trials. Some brand I know that offer at least a free class are Club Pilates, Core Power, and Cyclebar (may vary by state). 2024 is the year to be happy and healthy!

9. Movies

This might seem like the most general recommendation of them all, but I think taking time to watch a movie is extremely underrated. I believe that people have gotten to used to short videos through apps such as TikTok. In my experience, short videos have really taken away my ability to pay attention to tv shows and movies. With the resurgence of movies this previous year with blockbusters such as Barbie, I wanted to be able to watch movies all the way through and pick up on the messages. I think movies can offer messages and represent generations through pop culture and historical events. While not every movie is informational, movies can teach a lot of life lessons through story telling.

Hello, I am Laurel Adoryan and I am a student at North Carolina State University!