Wellness > Health

Embracing Self-Love and Care this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Everyone knows the reputation that Valentine’s Day has. Some say, “It’s just a money grab,” others claim, “It’s overrated,” and many feel, “It just reminds me how single I am”.

Okay … I may be completely biased but Valentine’s Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. While I enjoy participating in the silly things like indulging in a box of heart chocolates or receiving a bouquet of roses, I also cherish the opportunity to recognize my love and appreciation for the important people and relationships in my life.

This Valentine’s Day, I am celebrating my second anniversary with my best friend and amazing boyfriend. While I am beyond excited to spend the whole day with him, I also intend to spend a part of the celebration for myself and use this lovely holiday as an opportunity to prioritize self-love and self-care.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be solely about being in a romantic relationship or spending frivolously on candy, restaurant dates, or overpriced flowers. Let’s reframe the holiday not as a “money grab” or an “overrated holiday for couples,” but instead as a day to take extra time to care for yourself and your health.

Here are some things I am personally doing this Valentine’s Day to foster self-love and care (start taking notes!).

Self-Care Rituals

Taking the time to care for yourself is a huge way to show yourself some love. Some of my favorite activities include running a bubble bath, applying a face mask, or painting my nails. While these are all enjoyable cosmetic self-care rituals that leave you feeling rejuvenated, there are many more self-care activities you can explore! One of my personal favorites is taking a walk, finding a cozy spot, and delving into a good book. As a college student constantly on campus, taking the time to venture off-campus and relax amidst nature is a significant self-care act I love. These are all things I will definitely be doing this Valentine’s Day to show myself some appreciation.

Nurture Important Relationships

Since we are redefining Valentine’s Day to not only be a holiday for couples but also for celebrating all significant relationships in our lives, taking time to nurture those connections is so important! While this can certainly include your romantic partner, Valentine’s Day should be celebrated with all the important people in your life. Spend quality time with family – plan a nice dinner or prepare a home-cooked meal together. Or celebrate Galentine’s Day! Dedicate time to your best friends, bake some delicious V-day treats, or have a cute picnic. Valentine’s Day outings shouldn’t be limited to romantic dates; they should be with anyone who holds significance in your life.

Self Compassion

If there is one takeaway from this article, start considering the compassion you exhibit to yourself. This Valentine’s Day and in general this year, I have been focusing on treating myself with respect and kindness. It is easy to be hard on oneself, especially in college with all of the overwhelming coursework, tests, and extracurricular activities. One activity I have been practicing recently is journaling, and this isn’t just for Valentine’s Day! When I journal, I write about things that may make me feel sensitive or upset but counteract those feelings by writing affirmations. I also am an advocate for indulging in alone time and doing things you enjoy, even if it means canceling plans or postponing school work. Allowing yourself time to engage in activities you love and granting yourself grace knowing you aren’t perfect is crucial! This Valentine’s Day, take a night for yourself, enjoy some artwork, cook your favorite meal, or journal and express all the amazing things about yourself.

And Finally, Buy Yourself Some Flowers!

I don’t care who you are reading this, buy yourself some flowers! I adore having flowers in my space; they add color and brightness to my day, plus they simply look adorable. There’s no shame in buying yourself some flowers for Valentine’s Day; I know I definitely am this February 14th.

Although Valentine’s Day may sometimes feel like a corporate money grab or be branded as a holiday solely for people in relationships, it is an adorable holiday that allows you to appreciate yourself and others! Take some of these ideas or create your own and spend an extra day enjoying yourself and the people you love. <3

Emma Huber is a freshman at NC State University. This is her first year being a part of HerCampus! Emma was born and raised in Charlotte, NC with her family and dog, Finn. She enjoys shopping, drawing/painting, going to concerts, and traveling. She also loves to sit down to watch reality TV, especially Love Island! Although not majoring in anything related, Emma loves to write and is interested in pop culture, fashion, and personal health topics. As a college student, Emma intends to major in Textile Engineering with a concentration in Product Engineering. After graduation, she hopes to work for a clothing company designing sustainable and eco-friendly textiles and products!