college parties?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
college parties?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NETFLIX

College is What You Make of It: How I Transformed My Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

As a college freshman, you are hit with many adversities all at once. Learning how to balance schoolwork, forming new friendships, and being involved at school are some of the changes you experience when coming to college. After my freshman year, I was continuously yearning for more. I knew going into my sophomore year, that I wanted to strive for even better grades, more connections, and being more involved in my community. I am almost done with my first semester of sophomore year and I can happily say that I am so fulfilled by my school year thus far. Here are some changes I made in my transition from freshman to sophomore year!

1. Feel good playlists

Although I am a huge fan of the Lana Del Rey and Mitski vibe, I have made an effort to listen to more upbeat music. I find that listening to more uplifting music continues to motivate me throughout the day as music affects my mood. These are some of my happy go-to songs for moments like walking to class or going on a drive!

2. Get more involved

This year I decided to participate in Panhellenic Recruitment at NC State. Going into this process, I made sure to remain true to myself and find a sorority where I truly felt at home. Being a member of Delta Zeta has introduced me to some of my best friends and has given me so many opportunities to continue growing. Having a group of loving and supportive people at my side has given me the confidence and motivation to keep striving toward my goals. Before college, I never imagined myself joining a Greek organization, but to anybody reading I urge you to just put yourself out there and at least give it a try. Without Delta Zeta, I wouldn’t have met my college best friends!

3. Finding time to decompress

As busy as college can be, the most vital part of your week is to find time to decompress. Doing so prevents burnout and allows you to participate in activities you enjoy. One of my favorite things to do to decompress is to cook and watch a movie with my friends. Another way I love to decompress is to have a self-care night where I do a face mask and put on my favorite TV show!

4. Finding Good study spots

One of my favorite things to do around campus is to go to local coffee shops and study. Many options in Raleigh serve delicious coffee and have the perfect atmosphere for studying. Some of my favorites include Cup A Joe, Global Village Organic Coffee, and Idle Hour Coffee Roasters. I find myself to be more productive when I can take a break from campus and focus on whichever class I’m studying for.

5. Explore your future career

This year I have had the opportunity to venture more into my career. This year I have been a campus ambassador, content creator, and brand activation assistant for companies such as Urban Decay Cosmetics, Dunkin’, BuzzFeed, Uber Eats, and Bubble. Being able to work hands-on with these brands has allowed me to gain more insight into the business side of corporations and the marketing behind each campaign. Although I am still unsure of whether or not I want to pursue marketing, these opportunities have given me amazing advice and experience that I am incredibly thankful for.

This first semester has been so rewarding in every way and I’m excited to keep growing and enjoying my time next semester! <3

Halle Fisher is the Marketing/Events Coordinator of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for creating team bonding events, promoting events/articles/brand partnerships, and fundraising. This is her second year on Her Campus and as Marketing/Events Coordinator. Outside of Her Campus, Halle is active within her community. She was Vice President of her high school's chapter of Tri-M Music Honors Society and was the Communications manager for the Ronald McDonald House Club. She also performed in Chamber Choir throughout her high school career. In college, Halle is an active member of Delta Zeta (Omicron-Lambda) at NC State and serves as their Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Chairman. In 2023, Halle created social media content and held events in partnership with Urban Decay Cosmetics and Uber Eats. This year she hopes to continue her journey as a Business Administration major and learn more about the industry! Halle is originally from Long Island, NY, and currently resides in Cary, NC with her younger sister and two dogs. She enjoys going to concerts, hanging out with friends, traveling, and makeup. She has been able to see some of her favorite artists in concert such as Taylor Swift, SZA, Lana Del Rey, and Sabrina Carpenter. Her favorite genre of television is reality TV as her favorite show is Jersey Shore.