5 Things to do in Raleigh this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Whether you are planning a date night, a girls’ night out, or a family outing, there are endless possibilities right here in Raleigh and the surrounding areas- especially around the holidays. Here are five fun ideas to put on your list for this season.

1. Experience the Art of the Chinese Lantern Festival

The North Carolina Chinese Lantern Festival is held in Cary, NC from November 18th through January 8th. With light displays handcrafted by Chinese artisans, you are sure to experience something unlike anything you have ever seen before. There are even food vendors at the festival, so you don’t have to make dinner plans!

2. Visit the Holiday Express at Pullen Park

For an inexpensive yet immersive Christmas experience, take a trip over to Pullen Park in Raleigh, NC! This event runs from December 1st – 11th, and again December 13th – 18th. With a train ride through a light show, s’mores stations, a trip to Santa’s workshop, and so much more, you and your loved ones will have your entire night booked at the Holiday Express! Remember to dress appropriately, as this is an entirely outdoor event. 

3. Challenge your Mind in an Escape Room

If you’re looking for something different to try, this is the thing for you! Escape rooms are a great way to work your brain, while also allowing groups of people to collaborate in ways they never have before. Located in downtown Raleigh, Room 5280 and Nerd Escape Rooms are some of the best in the area. They are both open throughout the holiday season in the afternoons and into the evenings. Pick from a variety of themed rooms and embark on an immersive experience unlike any other!

4. Experience the Magic of A Christmas Carol Musical

The classic story of A Christmas Carol is brought to life right here in Raleigh, NC. You can enjoy this show anytime from December 9th – 11th and December 14th – 18th. This show has been around since 1974 and is a fan favorite, and I’m sure you will love it too! 

5. Cheer on the Carolina Hurricanes in PNC Arena

For all of the sports lovers out there, this one’s for you! With seven games in December alone, you can cheer on this hockey team all season long, right here in Raleigh, NC! Come in your favorite gear with all of your loved ones and have an amazing time this holiday season. Tickets are on sale now, so don’t wait!

My name is Katie Barrows and I am a writer with a passion for all things related to lifestyle, wellness, relationships, and more. My goal as a Her Campus member is to create content that inspires readers on various aspects of life, from health and well-being to personal growth, while also writing on intriguing, enjoyable topics. I especially love the aspect of community and connections that I have built through HC. Currently, I am a senior at North Carolina State University, pursuing degrees in communications/public relations and business administration. I also have a minor in social work, and actively work with many nonprofit organizations. Outside of my academic and writing pursuits, I love fitness and the outdoors, as well as beauty, makeup, and skincare. I'm also an avid fan of the TV show "Love Island." Looking ahead to life after graduation, I hope to work in the field of public relations and marketing, using my education and writing skills to help organizations effectively convey their messages, build strong brand identities, and connect with their target audiences.