Style > Fashion

5 Fashion Choices You Need to be Making This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Its official–fall weather is approaching us, and it’s here to stay. As much as we love a good jean short and tank top combo, here are 5 classic wardrobe pieces that will never go “out of style” for the fall season.

1. Leather Jackets

If there is one thing to know about fashion, it is that one can never go wrong with a leather jacket. Leather jackets invented in the 1900s continue to mark their territory every time the leaves hit the ground. Made in many ways with colored furs, buckles, and dyes, there is just no way to go wrong with these classy yet mesmerizing pieces. Questioning how to style? It’s simple. If you want a sophisticated look, try a baggy jean and a neutral-colored shirt. Add a belt and heels, along with a shoulder bag and some sunglasses. Laidback on the way to class? A hoodie, sweats, and your favorite pair of kicks will do the trick! Cocktail dinner? Don’t worry, your leather jacket is near! Throw on a silk slip-on dress, tights, and some boots. The leather jacket will complete the look regardless of the occasion!

2. White Knit Oversized sweater

Truth be told, you have probably heard this time and time again, but listen!!! The fashion critics were right. This is the most important piece. If you want to live your Rory Gilmore dream or feel the warmth of the sun while listening to Folklore, then this is your new holy grail. The great thing about this sweater is there are endless possibilities to style it! For a trip to the bookstore, style this sweater with a plaid skirt of any color. A pair of tights, though optional, along with some cute socks of choice are a cute look to add. Wear your favorite loafers and hit the world of fantasy, love, and any genre you prefer. You have an interview at a coffee shop? You have to give business just as much as you want to talk business. This sweater is just right for you. Grab a pair of dress pants and add some gold jewelry to give an accent. Wear your favorite heels or loafers and make your way out the door! Finally, for a cozy date night, put on your favorite pajama pants or shorts and tuck in the front to give the sweater a little crop. Find some fuzzy socks and place them on your Uggs to create an effortless yet absolutely Instagram-worthy outfit.

3. Loafers

As mentioned previously, loafers are the perfect option to give the schoolgirl’s academia look just in time for the school year to start taking its toll. Loafers are the one shoe I often find myself looking to grasp to complete an outfit, and I think you should too. Whether it’s business, casual, or fancy, loafers are the best shoe to fit an aesthetic outfit. Loafers can be styled in just about any way, including with a leather jacket, and even a white knit sweater. Put on your white knit with your leather jacket over, grab a black skirt and a cute pair of socks to match your loafers. Wear a black dress and wear a white tee, button-up, or long-sleeve underneath. Of course, add socks above the ankle and place your loafers right on. Don’t forget to add golden jewelry and some glasses prescription or blue light. Seriously, the possibilities are endless.

4. Never Forget the Basics, Neutral tops

Fall is all about the neutrals, browns, blacks and whites are your most beloved companion. They look great under just about anything and remember as the weather gets colder layering is the key!!! Just don’t forget to add your basics underneath. It is safe to have a variety of options whether the weather that day is feeling colder or warmer in the mornings, afternoons and evenings. I always keep a tank, a few short sleeves, as well as some long sleeves on hand if I were to ever need them. SKIMS is the love of your life this fall, trust me girl. These tops go great with sweats, jeans, and skirts, as well as various jackets and jewels and will make all your clean girl aesthetic dreams come true. So, RUN don’t walk to grab your neutrals because you cannot go wrong with them.

5. A Good Pair Of Blue Jeans

It’s blue jeans season of return and no one is complaining. Jeans return year after year, and although you don’t have to go as far as Justin and Britney, there is a close place to start. So many brands are selling the best fit and materials to fit you in the right way you deserve. American Eagle, Abercrombie, and Fitch, and Levi’s are AMAZING, just to name a few. Although it can feel overwhelming with all the different styles and washes, you really only need one pair to look the coziest and still be the hottest Jennie from the block. Dressed up or dressed down, blue jeans are the way to go. If you are looking for a night out on the town, blue jeans are always the first pick. Add a button-up with a nice lacy bralette and leave it unbuttoned enough to grace the top of the bralette. Add a trench coat and some sparkly heels. Grab your favorite sweater and some Uggs, slip those blue jeans right on, and bam! Effortless and classy! You know what time it is, it’s game day! A corset placed with the blue jeans and a pair of cute rancher boots will do the perfect trick. Not only are they easy to style, but they come in so many different washes and looks! A few to watch for are 90’s baggy, flares, and straights. Look at you in your dark jeans and your Nikes!

Jordyn Jenks is a current student at NC State University taking place in her freshman year. This is her first year apart of her campus and she is more than excited to be involved with such a great community. For her, this is a year of new beginnings, new opportunities, and new friendships not only through NC State but through her campus as well. As a high school student, Jordyn was very involved in her student body and academics. Jordyn was Varsity Captain of her cheerleading squad for two consecutive years then took on the position of social media ambassador for the cheer team's social networks. Jordyn also was a social media manager for Elevation Gaston's church and ran their Instagram, later she would take an internship at Elevation Ballantyne to learn graphic design and work on the church's socials. To add Jordyn works at American Eagle and has worked with the company for two years as a cashier, associate, and most importantly media, making reels and posting new products to their Instagram. She also runs her own social media. She was given the class of 2023 artist award for her large paintings and creativity, actively participating in artistic programs. She graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA as an honors student, Varsity Cheerleader, and active Beta Club member. Jordyn was raised in Cherryville North Carolina and later in her early teenage years moved to Lincolnton North Carolina to attend a public charter college prep school. She has one sister, three brothers, and a dog who is dearly loved by her named Moose. She has a passion for fashion and enjoys spending time with friends, painting, working with social media, and traveling. Her favorite music artists consist of Taylor Swift, Drake… despite their beef, and lastly her favorite band since the fifth grade 5 Seconds of Summer. She loves concerts and attends them regularly. She is also a huge Marvel cinematic universe fan and the Twilight series.