college party safety tips?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
college party safety tips?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
PARAMOUNT PICTURES
Style > Fashion

13 Last Minute Little Black Dress Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

“Clothes make a statement. Costumes tell a story.” -Mason Cooley

Care to deliver a spooky, elegant, or iconic story? To send off the season, all you need is a black dress and a few accessories! Halloween is swiftly approaching, and the mood boards, makeup inspirations, and ghoulish costumes are ready for the runway! If the impending night has given you a fright, I offer some simple treats to make 13 costumes out of the classic black dress. This garment is a closet essential. You will be immediately unforgettable with accessories that allow for inexpensive costume variations.

1. Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn is the style icon for the elegant black dress. One of the chicest displays of fashion, you can channel Holly Golightly from the timeless Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Manhattan’s most memorable socialite completes her attire with pearls, a simple updo with a tiara, and black gloves. If you feel extra fancy, arrive with a coffee cup, pastry, and vintage cigarette holder.

2. Coco Chanel

Coco Channel is the epitome of elegance and embraces the versatility of a little black dress. Consult your Grandmother for some statement costume jewelry, thrift a vintage hat, and perform your daintiest french accent to honor the fabulously gifted fashion extraordinaire.

3. 1920s flapper

A 1920s flapper is a sparkly and sometimes mysterious character! Art deco jewelry and dainty heels will attract the party wherever the music takes you. Be bold with your blush and consult a fabulous makeup or hair tutorial to make a grand entrance dancing the charleston, drinking champagne, and dreaming of Gatsby!

4. Cruella de Vil

Plus points for a dalmatian sidekick; you can recreate the devilishly stylish icon with a silky black dress and dramatic faux fur accessory. Venture to apply some baby powder and set it with hairspray as an ode to her villainous hair. Don’t forget the bold red lip and extended cigarette to exude the sass and superiority of Ms. Cruella De Vil.

5. Madam X

Would you like to create a piece of art to become one? If you wish to DIY or upcycle a little black dress, replace the straps with rhinestone details and gracefully drop one off the shoulder. An elegant updo with the scandalous shoulder reveal is reminiscent of Madam X, painted by John Singer Sargent.

6. Betty Boop

Thick hoops, a black wig or pin curls, cartoon-style makeup, accent red shoes, and pouty heart lips will lead to the show-stopping entrance of little Miss Betty Boop! Accessorize with a gold bangle or heart-shaped belt to embody the cute-as-a-button, Boop-Oop-a-Doop starlet.

7. Liza Minnelli as Sally Bowles in Cabaret

Life is a cabaret, old chum. Come to the Cabaret! A mini black dress paired with a shimmering headpiece and iconic beauty mark will resemble the lovely Liza Minnelli from 1970s Cabaret. Add some garters, tights, or vests for an elevated and uncanny resemblance of divine decadence that belongs in a New York Nightclub.

8. Black Swan 

With a couple of feathers, a ballerina bun, and perhaps some mysterious eye makeup, transform into the black swan and dance the night away. Enhance this dark and ghoulish look with a mask and a performance of a lifetime.

9. Wednesday and Morticia Adams

The original mother and daughter duo are simple icons for a pair or solo costume. Wednesday styles her black dress with white, peter pan collars, tall socks, red nails, and pigtail braids. Don’t forget an abundance of sarcasm, and do not smile. Morticia offers a dramatic entrance with a form-fitting silhouette and perhaps a cheeky thigh slit with a blood-red manicure, straight, flowing locks, and wickedly perfect makeup.

10. Lydia Deetz 

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, beeeeecause you’re too stylish and a bit of an oddball, opt for Lydia Deetz’s spooky outfit for a twist on the traditional witch. Take a creative risk with her unique spiky bangs and embrace your quirkiness by carrying a book to discuss with all your ghostly acquaintances.

11. Minnie Mouse

Accompany the black dress with mouse ears, and voila! I’m a mouse. Duh. Whether you recreate a Minnie mouse with some polka dots and a bow or prefer Karen’s approach from Mean Girls, this costume is cute, simple, and easy to customize.

12. Vampire

Glimmering in the moonlight, a black dress, fangs, and a mysterious bite is a centuries-oldie but a goodie! Complete with a dark lip and overflowing cup filled with red liquid to embrace the gothic delight.

13. Madeline

Create a unique schoolgirl outfit with a collared blouse, frilly socks, white gloves, and a yellow hat, scarf, or jacket to portray the french student, Madeline. Complete the attire with a red ribbon, brave spirit, and occasional French “pooh-pooh” if you encounter any tricks this season!

Katy Masden, a junior at NC State majoring in Business Marketing, is on track to graduate early in the spring of 2024. Her academic journey is a fusion of creative extracurriculars and an insatiable wanderlust spirit, both of which have ignited her aspirations within the field of marketing. Her goal is to collaborate with innovative magazines and fashion companies that share her unwavering enthusiasm for pioneering ideas. As an active member of the American Marketing Association, Katy is eager to connect with industry leaders, recognizing the immense value of networking and shared insights to drive innovation within the marketing and global business landscape. Post-graduation, her ambition takes her abroad, with London as her destination of choice. There, she plans to immerse herself in the dynamic world of creative direction, forging cross-cultural collaborations and pushing the limits of marketing.