A Personal Essay on Self-Confidence & Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCCU chapter.

I logged out of my Instagram today and plan on limiting my activity on it. Logging out of social media meant me logging out of everyone else’s life. I was starting to compare my life to others and comparing how I look to other women. Social media isn’t the only way that a person can put themselves down, also our own personal obstacles. In between all of this, women become overwhelmed and start to limit themselves. I know I do!

I hold myself to high standards and knowing that I was comparing myself to other people made me feel less beautiful. It made me less confident and it led me down the road of self-destruction. My mind was filled with what I could do and be rather than what I am doing now.

I turned on Beautiful by Christina Aguilera and started singing and dancing and all that I was worried about was gone. My mind became clear.

Nothing in this life will be easy, we will cry, laugh, scream and be silent. What you do to get over that wall is what defines you. There’s more than one way over a wall! Remember that!

We learn after our hard times what it means to love ourselves whole heartedly and how important it is to look in the mirror and say to yourself, “You are beautiful.”

Thinking positive thoughts enhances self-love and confidence. See how I told you that I was comparing myself, those thoughts resulted in me feeling less confident. I put down the phone and did things that made me feel beautiful and competent.

Thinking positive is not easy! With everything we as women go through already, positive thinking takes a lot of discipline. Your body regenerates itself with new cells creating new thinking and new habits.

Practice positive thinking and start doing things that make you feel like you are enough. If you think you can change the world, you probably will be the one to do it. Put your social media to rest and appreciate what’s here, right now, in front of you.

There’s nothing better than maturing and knowing that you are enough. All that you have is what the Creator gave you. Nothing more and nothing less.

You are what the creator made you to be and that’s perfection. You are no mistake and the mistakes that you do make, help you become the person you were meant to become.

Think of this when you’ve hit a wall, I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be. That helps me not stress myself with where I am in life. Instead of us encouraging women to be and act what they see on reality shows, we should be encouraging our women to love what they see first. Then love what you do and carry yourself with dignity and know that no one can take that away from you.

Trust yourself and work hard. Life gives no promises; all that the universe recognizes is your energy. You give out good energy, you will be given exactly what you give out.

Hi :) I'm a junior at North Carolina Central University majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism. Writing has always been a passion since I was young. I read, take photos and love taking risks.
Hello! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Central University studying Biology with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm an aspiring science teacher, part-time flower child, self-proclaimed book worm, and studying feminist. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”