This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Alexandria Marrow is a freshman at North Carolina A&T with an amazing cupcake business! I saw one of her cupcakes on someone’s Snapchat and they looked delicious, so I checked them out. Needless to say, I’ve been coming back for more. I loved them so much that I wanted to get some insight on her business.

1. What inspired you to start your business?

I started Sweets by Alexandria when I was pretty young actually! I was in middle school and I started baking at a very young age. I always had a big interest in business since I was young. I used to watch the Food Network for hours, I was obsessed with my Easy Bake oven growing up, and decided in high school that I really wanted to start this business.

2. Did you learn any of your recipes from your mom or grandmother?

My mom actually taught me how to make my grandmother’s pound cake recipe and that really stuck in my mind.

3. In high school being so young, how did you have the means to start this business?

I have been babysitting since I was really young, so I’ve always been an entrepreneur. I made a letter for my neighbors about all the services I could provide for them. Some of the things on the list were sweeping, lawn-mowing, and things like that. I was able to save that money towards my cupcake business and my parents helped me get started too. I also used to sell my pound cakes, so whatever money I made from that went back to my business!

4. What sort of flavors do you offer?

We basically have everything under the sun from red velvet (our famous one, everyone loves that one!), signature chocolate, salted caramel mocha, carrot cake, original vanilla, lemon, birthday confetti, cookies and cream. I’m super excited for the holidays, we have sweet potato, pumpkin spice, and gingerbread rolling in!

5. What is really special about your ingredients?

One really cool thing about the cupcakes is that I don’t use any shortening in any of our frostings! I only use organic butter and organic cream cheese, so our frostings are very light and soft and just sort of melt in your mouth! Our cakes are very moist, can’t tell you that secret ingredient. Also we use fresh fruit in our fruit frostings!

Follow Sweets by Alexandria on social media:

sweetsbyalexandria.com

Instagram- @sweetsbyalexandria

Twitter- @sweetsbyal

Facebook- Sweets by Alexandria

Delanee-Alexis Coley is a 19 year old Multimedia Journalism student at the illustrious North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. Ms. Coley is multifaceted and finds interest in anything from the arts to social justice. As someone who can be very timid, she is learning to take an active approach to follow her dreams, even if that means pushing out of her comfort zone. In deep thought Delanee-Alexis was inspired to join more organizations on campus and in her community, living up to her new mantra “Never be passive in your pursuit.”- Delanee-Alexis Coley. Locally, Coley has served as an executive board member of Charm City Aggies (Baltimore's hometown group), a mentor and dream enthusiast with Just Bee Empowerment Group, an active member of Alpha Lambda Delta Collegiate Honor Society, and many more. Back at home, Delanee-Alexis is the youth president of a nonprofit called Pure Potential Enterprises (founded in Baltimore, 2012) in which she helps youth organize collegiate portfolios, package scholarships, achieve collegiate acceptances, and compete for collegiate scholarships. Her favorite bible verse, Proverbs 31:25, is the epitome of how she feels about life. Though she has faced many up's and down's she is always confident that God will lead her where she is destined to be. It reads "She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future."
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.