gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Season of Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Letting go of a relationship is never easy. Whether it’s ending a friendship or separating from a significant other, it’s hard to know when to walk away. We invest so much time into the person we care about to the point where we become attached. We handout second chances (sometimes more), and set expectations only to be disappointed when the person continues to make (the same) mistakes.

We’re so afraid of being alone that we overlook signs that show us why we shouldn’t be involved with the person anymore. So when is it time walk away? At what point do you tell yourself, “I deserve better” or “It’s time to move on”? Take a step back and honestly ask yourself, “Am I happy in this relationship/friendship?” “Am I receiving as much effort as I’m giving?”  If your answer is no, then honey move on.

As college students, we have to put ourselves first when it comes to relationships. Our time is too precious to be wasted on temporary people. It’s okay to leave when you feel the effort isn’t being reciprocated. It’s okay to distance yourself from toxic friends. Remember, you are young and you have your whole life ahead of you. There will always be another boy/girl who’s into you, and there will always be someone who wants to be your friend.

Think of this change as opening a door in your life for someone who will give you what you deserve. These are our years of learning and enjoyment, not for compromise. This is the season of change, so get “brand new.” Spend some time alone with yourself. Figure out what you like and what you don’t: What makes you happy? What are your weaknesses? Any bad habits? What do you want to change about yourself? do it. It’s time to live your best life!

I’m rooting for your evolution! Xoxo

Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, Megan is currently a senior at North Carolina A&T State University. She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing, and also minoring in multimedia journalism. This is her third year on the Her Campus NCAT editorial staff.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.