The X-Files: An Open Letter of Love to Mulder and Scully

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Photo Courtsey of PhotoPin.

Dear Special Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully,

Where do I even start? There’s so much I feel like I can say. I mean we’ve only known each other a short while — seven episodes really— but it feels like I’ve known you both for at least a lifetime, maybe more. There’s just something about you – I can’t help but feel this magnetic attraction. Is it too soon to say that you both make me want to believe? Yes? Well, too bad. That’s how I feel. I want to believe.*

In preparation for it’s glorious return come this January, I started watching the X-Files. In the past I had heard things about the X-Files — things like how badass Scully was and how cute Mulder could be, the fact that Scully is a Medical Doctor, and ALIENS! That was the extent of my knowledge on the X-Files—until a few weeks ago.

I think it was the theme song that drew me in — the first few notes made the hairs on my neck rise. Then the show actually started and I really liked it. It premiered in 1993 on FOX and it’s the most 90’s thing I’ve seen since I watched most of CBS’s Beauty and the Beast (it was produced by George R.R. Martin and it is on Netflix – I strongly recommend it for all your cheesy 80’s fantasy drama needs). In this sleek, modern world of 2015, those are some of the biggest shoulder pads I’ve ever seen. Even bigger than the shoulder pads I saw in my mom’s college yearbook. Early 90’s tech is so weird to look at. The cellphones are big and screen-less, but probably sturdier. There are no flash-drives, only floppy disks. VHS tapes are still a thing too! Remember VHS tapes? I do. (That was an old fashioned sentence.)

Setting the shoulder pads aside, the X-Files doesn’t joke around with its storylines. There are X-Files. Weird stuff happens. People disappear mysteriously. People die. Crimes are committed. Crimes are solved. Weird lights start flashing. The government tries to cover it all up. And in the center of it all are my beloved Mulder and Scully, just trying to do their jobs.

So can I just talk about how much I love Mulder and Scully? They’re amazing. Mulder’s firm belief in the existence of aliens never wavers. He is surrounded by skeptics, doubters, and those who simply don’t want the truth to ever see the light of the day. People never seem to believe him when he says he’s seen the impossible. I personally think if I were in his position, I would stop trying after a while.

Mulder can’t stop and won’t stop. He’s looking for something greater than him and he doesn’t give up. I find that to be admirable. (Early 90’s David Duchovny is also very attractive and talented. He gets bonus points for that.)

And Scully? Where do I begin? Well, first of all, Agent Dana Scully is a respected agent and Medical Doctor who has been given an assignment that seems a bit below her obvious qualifications and capabilities. She has to work with Mulder, who has gained a bit of reputation around the Bureau as a weirdo. She could easily try to get out of it, but she doesn’t. She commits herself to her assignment and settles in her role as the Skeptic to Mulder’s fervid Belief. She is a woman of science and logic — she looks for the truth. She tries to provide reasonable explanations to whatever weird thing she and Mulder have just discovered.

Mulder might want to believe, but Scully wants the truth.

Dana Scully is kind of a badass.

Mulder and Scully, we’ve only really just begun our journey together, but I’ve loved every minute so far. And I’ll love every minute more. It’s going to be a rollercoaster ride of emotions, mysteries, and heartbreak, but if my time as a fan-girl on the Internet has taught me anything – I’ll be ready.

Forever yours until the aliens take me away,

Bridget

*See what I did there? I said the thing.

Bridget Coulter currently splits her time between being a full time freshman at Manhattanvile College and part time work as a bat-themed vigilante. Her major is technically Undeclared at the moment, but she's thinking about majoring in Communications and Media with minors in art and theater. She'll get back to you on that when she's figured it out. In her free time, Bridget likes to draw, play video games, and spend too much time on Twitter and Tumblr. She also enjoys chocolate, her dog Shad, and the color rainbow. Bridge is a very big fan of the 1982 cinematic masterpiece, Tootsie. When she grows up, she wants to make art and help tell stories that are good and make people smile because that is what is important to her. Bridget can be found on Twitter at @thisisbridge, Facebook (send her a message! she likes making new friends.), or Tumblr. Not that she'll tell you her tumblr. Not yet, at least.
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.