This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Starting a new chapter in your life can be stressful, especially for those in college. The first few weeks on campus can be extremely hectic for students trying to get used to their new surroundings. As an independent student, the decisions you make throughout your college years can have a major impact on your life as well as the rest of your college experience. In other words, here are some tips on how to survive college: 

1. Go to class: 

As tempting as it is to sleep in, it may be a good idea that some classes are mandatory. This in fact, does not let you stroll into the bad habit of missing class. This can leave you behind on important material, such as what to expect on upcoming tests, homework, or specific due dates. 

2. Get organized: 

Throughout high school, teachers were usually the ones who guided you through constant due dates and reminders. As you transition into college, you become independent, meaning you are in control and are on your own. It is a good idea to stay on track with your syllabuses, as your professors expect you to be up to date on all your assignments. Be prepared and do not procrastinate! 

3. Get involved on campus: 

Feel like you don’t belong on campus? Start becoming involved in daily activities. This includes the endless amounts of options available to you based on your interests. Ideas include, joining a club or sports teams, or becoming apart of a sorority or fraternity. This is a new and easy way to meet new people on campus while also feeling more connected in school. 

4. Make time for you: 

Put all your activities and school work aside and make time for yourself. Finding time for your mental health is important, as that always comes first. Sit back and relax; watch your favorite movie with friends and give yourself a break from all the stress and schoolwork. 

5. Stay healthy: 

Ever heard of freshman 15? Well that’s real. Make sure you consume a balanced meal, instead of grabbing those extra fries or cookies. Also make sure you get enough sleep and exercise daily. Remaining physical activity is an important factor in maintaining a healthy life style.

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Manhattanville  Want to join? Feel free to contact me at 1(914)467-9567 or cheskavkola@gmail.com