Positive Outlook for 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

As 2016 closes, many people begin to reflect on the year. Did you accomplish what you wanted to? Did good things come your way? Do you want 2017 to come so you can invent a “new you”? A new year is a new beginning for a lot of people. A new chance to set goals, better yourself and to do something new. However, you must remind yourself that you can start over no matter what day it is. You could start over half way through a year or on a random day in February. It’s never too late to achieve something new. Here are 3 things to remember before the new year approaches.

Don’t Give Up

You have one life to live. If something in 2016 didn’t work out your way, try again. Just because you didn’t move out of the apartment you’re in or didn’t make enough money to take that dream trip to Spain doesn’t mean you can’t do it. When we want something and we don’t get immediate satisfaction, we often give up and never try again. Being persistent is what will ultimately get you what you want. So remind yourself that in 2017 and in the many years to come that you can get it all. Just take it slow and don’t give up.

Be the Best Version of You

We automatically set goals for ourselves at the beginning of a new year. A lot of those goals tend to be on making ourselves better. That could be from hitting up the gym a bit more or trying to be more kind to others. We tend to shame ourselves if we mess up an attempt to work on ourselves. Just a reminder that it is okay if you mess up. We all make mistakes. If you missed the gym for a week, remember that there is always next week and the many other days to follow. Simply be the best version of yourself that you can be. That is more fulfilling than trying to mold yourself.

Appreciate Each Day

A lot of people always say they wish they did a bit more during the year. That they wasted too much of their time in bed or watching Netflix. We often forget that everyday is a gift and that we must make the best out of it. One day when you’re much older you want to be able to look back and say “Wow, I was able to do this a few years ago and it was great.” So get out there, explore and spend time with those you care about. Meet new people and be curious. Let go of the negative people or energy in your life. Take each day to learn something new because you never know how much it can impact your life.

Remember, treat each new year not as a chance to start over, but a chance to improve and make your life better. Enjoy the final days of 2016 and Happy New Year!

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.