Manhattanville Frequencies: March’s Mix Tape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Every month I make a new playlist, a mixture of old music and new music, something to help me through classes, essays, and day to day life.  Some of the songs have reasons: emotional meaning, beautiful lyrics, or an awesome bass drop.  Whatever the reason, here are some of the highlights of my playlist this month: check them out!

The Fairy Feller’s Master Stroke – Queen

One of Queen’s lesser known songs, this song was released in 1973, and has an enticing intro.  Follow the beat, and jam with Freddie and the band – It’s an excellent song to do cardio to, or to write your essay.  The fairly quick tempo will keep you up, and motivated… Not to mention, the song was inspired by a famous painting Richard Dadd.

“The ostler stares with hands on his knees

Come on mr. feller, crack it open if you please.”

Fired – Ben Folds

A little jazzier, Ben Folds adds a little swing to your step on the way to class.  Ben Folds is an amazing artist, who often likes to incorporate more of a big band sound, recording with the Nashville Symphony in his latest album, So There, released at the end of 2015.  Definitely a good listen for the music fan inside of us all.

“I’m just an ordinary guy

And all I want is to be loved – is that so wrong?”

Paper Hearts – Silver Trees

A smaller, lesser known band, founded in 2013 and from Nashville, the band emits an indie acoustic soundscape.  The song is slow, and meaningful, and simply wonderful.  Also featured on March’s playlist are there other songs Lighthouse, One Less Bird, and Oh My Love.  I only recently came across this band, so I’m trying to listen to them as much as possible!

“We try to tell a story, we write each other into our lives,

but after all it’s all just as thin as paper hearts.”

Stressed Out – 21 Pilots

21 Pilots takes us back to our childhood in their music video for Stressed Out, there’s just something about this song that connects with you. it talks about the struggles of growing up, and realizing that playtime isn’t a thing anymore, and that we need to work, and usually be stressed out.  The music video includings bikes, Capri Suns, and the monster of the modern adult.

“Wish we could turn back time, to the good ol’ days,

When our momma sang us to sleep but now we’re stressed out.”

Everything Must Go – Artist Vs. Poet

Artist Vs. Poet is always on my playlists, I’ll admit they’re one of my favorite bands.  Everything must go comes off of their most recent album, Medicine.  Also off of the album on this playlist are Leavin’, and Kids Again.  Artist Vs. Poet always has beautiful harmony in their harmonies, and my favorite – their lyrics.  Fun fact:  Joe Kirkland, lead singer of the band, was on season 3 of The Voice!

“Nothing can last forever

But we’re all on the same road.”

Full Track List for March:                  

Leavin’ – Artist Vs Poet                                               Bad Girls Cry, Bleachers Remix – Sia

Kids Again – Artist Vs Poet                                          The Fairy Feller’s Master Stroke – Queen

Everything Must Go – Artist Vs Poet                          Revolution Rock – The Clash

I Believe In A Thing Called Love – The Darkness      Son of Your Father – Elton John

All Over – Cruisr                                                          World Is Ending – Matt and Kim

Time of Our Lives – Hopeland                                    Throw Shade – Cruisr

OctaHate – Ryn Weaver                                             Fired – Ben Folds

Here – Alessia Cara                                                    Shoot Your Gun – 22-20s

Stay Away From My Friends – Pierce the Veil           Cosmic Love – Florence and the Machine

Stressed Out – 21 Pilots                                             Paper Hearts – Silver Tree Feat. Bailey Jehl

One Less Bird – Silver Tree                                        Oh My Love – Silver Tree

Lighthouse – Silver Tree                                             Work Song – Hozier

Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.