The Man for Change: Charles Rusch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Charlie and his girlfriend, Brianna. Photo Credit: Charlie Rusch

We see plenty of commuters on campus every single day. Mainly during the week, but there are a few who always come around to see what they’re missing about campus life. Charles Rusch or better known as Charlie is a friendly commuter face on campus. You can always spot the 6’2 student walking from class to class, in the Student Activities Office, or at several SGA meetings and events. He’s even here on the weekend spending time with his close friends and girlfriend, Brianna.

“I want to be apart of the college atmosphere.” He said as we sat down in the comfort of my dorm room which I share with his girlfriend. “I don’t get that at home.” Charlie is a Buffalo native, but grew up in Westchester County. He still embraces his Buffalo boy style and lets it be known by rocking Buffalo Bills gear. While he loves where he originally comes from, he knows Westchester like the back of his hand having exposed many of us to great places around here.

Charlie is involved in many different activities on campus. He’s apart of the Student Government Association taking the role of Vice President of Academics. He’s also apart of the National Society of Leadership and Success. Being so involved has encouraged him to take advantage of bringing changes to the student body. “In the process at the moment is a student faculty academic alliance.” He mentioned, grinning as he enjoyed his pub fries and tried to compose himself around his girlfriend who was laughing as I interviewed him. “It’s a way for students and faculty to meet with one another to discuss their problems or interactions on campus.” While this is his main focus, he also plans on having programs to bond students and faculty beyond the classroom and office hours.

Charlie’s involvement with Student Government will not come to a close just yet. “I plan on running for Student Body President.” Elections will take place sometime during the Spring Semester. “My main goal is to allow students to express their voices through student government by bringing it to the attention to each and every problem.” After the many events on campus that students became furious about such as the recent Valiant Bus Schedule change, he hopes that he can encourage the school to hear students out before making drastic changes.

While he’s active in many clubs on campus, he’s also focused on his future. Charlie is an International Studies major with a Spanish minor. He traveled to Argentina over the summer to immerse himself in the culture. He hopes to someday work for a non-profit organization. “Working for a non-profit allows me to build something more.” He said very hopeful.

Charlie is destined to do great things no only because I’ve known him for two years, but also because I see it in his interactions with students and faculty. Next time you see him on campus, smile and give a friendly wave. He’ll be sure to give his classic grin and give you a settle wave back.

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.