Could Have, Should Have, Would Have, but didn’t: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Freshman year: “I can’t wait to start college and be an independent woman”.

Reality: “I can’t balance anything; I’m broke and tired”.

Sophomore Year: “I know what I am going to declare as my major, I have my life together”.

Reality: *ends up changing major/minor at least once because HAHA I can’t commit*

Junior Year: “I’m definitely going to do internships because it’s time to really get my sh*t together for real”.

Reality: *You’re going out more often because let’s be honest you’re 21 now*

Senior Year: “I can’t wait to get out of here even though I have no real idea what I’m doing after college”.

Reality: “Damn, I really should have done ___ more” #regret

If you related to any one of these statements, you’re not alone. First things first, acceptance: “No one in college has their sh*t together, we just pretend for the gram and the fam like we do.”

Say it like 3 times over and you’re now in the accepting stage. Whew. Now that we have that over with let’s look back at regret. Yeah, I know, why would anyone want to open that can of worms? Too bad, we’re doing it. College is a place where you should excel academically, socially, and professionally. The reality? Easier said than done. Looking back at my experience here at Manhattanville, these are my would have, should have, and could have regrets.

1. GET INVOLVED

It’s a no brainer, but let’s be honest, no one really does it. Getting involved is really important to promote those networking skills, meet new friends, and increase your potential for board material. I know they can be a pain because they require commitment, but trust me, the experience makes it all worth it.

I am a commuter, so getting involved in this school took more effort on my part. I didn’t join a club until senior year. I went from doing nothing to four clubs. Trust me, you don’t want to be like me; you want to space out your time so you can try different clubs to help you figure out your likes and dislikes. Campus jobs, like orientation leaders or RA’s, help too because they allow you to interact with others while giving you creative freedom to showcase your personality.

2. MANAGE YOUR TIME

I’ve always said and strongly believed that what differentiates even the slimmest margins of grades is not defined by how smart you are, but how you manage your time. You’re taking a class that’s too hard? You don’t understand what is going on? Your workload just keeps piling up? Take a sip of that macchiato or caramel latte, light a candle, take a breath and invest in a nice planner.

Organize what days out of the week you’re going to work on a specific class assignment, try to maintain that schedule so you don’t lose momentum. Doing everything in one sitting the night before is not pretty. Working on the assignment two or three nights before keeps you more relaxed and less pressured.

3. YOU HAVE TO SHOW UP

You never want to give the professor a reason to believe that you aren’t making the effort. A good way to demonstrate this is going to the SI sessions and/or asking questions when you have one.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just questions you never bothered asking. If asking the professor intimidates you, ask your student instructor or even a classmate. You can understand and formulate an answer on your own but you’ll never truly learn that way.

4. FIND MORE INTERNSHIPS

Internships are scary. Many students believe that internships are more for upper level students; such as, the juniors and seniors. Not true. It is never to early to start applying for internships whether that is on your own using Indeed.com or the variation of your center for career development.

Internships are there to help build your resume’s work experience while at the same time helping you discover what kind of profession you want to go into, what environment you like etc. without the full commitment. It’s like dating without that awkward ending/split.

5. TALK TO YOUR ADVISOR

Going to a small school such as Manhattanville really gives you the liberty to make connections with the faculty and really accumulate those one on ones. Speaking to your advisor and keeping them or a favorite professor updated indirectly helps you feel more organized and prepared. They will help guide you, better understand your character, and what your capabilities are.

6. TREAT YOURSELF

Whether it’s through money or free time, everyone deserves to treat themselves. College isn’t meant to stress you all the dang time. Take a day out of the week to relax and do less homework than usual. Go out to eat with your friends, watch a movie or just have a “do nothing” day.

However, don’t make your treat yourself day into a treat yourself week or you will lose your time management schedule. If taking a full day isn’t an option for you, little breaks from doing homework help too. Go on a coffee run, grab ice cream quickly or just do a fun driving adventure to your nearest diner, Dunkin or McDonalds. Always give yourself a time limit (30min, 1 hour or 2 hours), it is completely up to you. Having those small interactions helps you release steam and helps you concentrate once you get back.

Overall college is meant for you to grow and learn from your own experiences. These are just a few of the things I wish I would have done more. We all have different experiences and different lessons sharing them always helps. College really does fly by, I just hope you all enjoy the views as well as the destination.

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Manhattanville  Want to join? Feel free to contact me at 1(914)467-9567 or cheskavkola@gmail.com