This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Have you felt like you had to hide whatever you’re feeling? If you said no to that, then you’re lying. There is not one person that hasn’t kept something hidden from people. There is always some kind of a quality about ourselves we don’t share, a family secret or two, and how we feel. We shouldn’t hide things.

We all face difficult situations, and we all need to find someone that we can vent to about things. Once you find someone to spill your heart out to, it all comes naturally. We need a support system set up for when times get rough. Your support system should consist people that you trust won’t go around telling people whatever problems you are facing, and won’t leave you when times get rough. You’ll find that your support system will become your best friends. Just keep in mind that as they support you, you need to support them to. Do not blow off your support system because you will regret it in the long run.

If you feel like your support system isn’t doing just want you need to help you with what you’re going through, you should try to reach out to family member. Family is always going to be there to hear you out when you need to talk out your feelings. They can guide you in ways that friends sometimes can’t. It is often scary going to family about big problems because you may first feel like they will judge you, but they aren’t. They’re hearing you out, and trying to find the best words they can use to help. Though you may feel it, they will never disown you; they love you too much to do anything like that.

Sometimes, your family might suggest you go to see someone to talk to. Going to therapy is never a bad idea. Therapy helps get down to what the source of the problem is. You should never feel ashamed by going to therapy. It takes a lot for people to take the steps to go to therapy, and I, personally, have a great deal of respect for those who decide to go to therapy. It takes a lot of courage for people to go to someone to discuss personal matters. Therapy helps you release whatever you’re feeling on the inside to a neutral party who can help you find new coping methods that we normally wouldn’t think of. If you are having a problem with a family member or someone close to you, usually the therapist will allow you to bring that person in so that they can help you talk out those problems.

At the end of the day, don’t keep your feelings bottled up. Bottling up things only causes the situation to get worse over time. Always remember there is someone out there that is willing to listen to you, even when you think the world is falling apart. Chances are, when you open to someone about problems, they’ve gone through that same problem. Hear them out, vent your heart, and do not hold yourself back.

Dancer. Lover. Believer. Manhattanville College.