This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

As vaccines become available across the globe, the world is opening up and life is starting to look more and more like the pre-pandemic days. However, the effect of solitude on our friends and family runs much deeper.

As we have seen these past few weeks with the increase in mass shootings, the mental strain of this pandemic cannot be treated with a vaccination. The time we have spent apart will be hurting our neighbors much more than a sore arm. As we “return to normality,” we must keep in mind that the hearts of our loved ones are still aching from the trauma of losing so much this past year. 

Earlier this year, my dear friend let me in on a practice she tries to implement in her everyday life. She calls it the “Three Touch Rule.” According to her, studies have shown that three physical interactions a day can greatly improve your mental well being and outlook on life. A touch can be anything from a hug, a hand shake, or even a pat on the back. This practice is not only a self-care tactic but it aids the well-being of those you interact with. 

I think of the Three Touch Rule regularly now. As someone who has not traditionally been a huge fan of being touched, since being taught this little trick I have found that I do not mind as much anymore. I see the small interactions to be signs of love that are beneficial to everyone involved.

I challenge you to start implementing the Three Touch Rule into your daily routine. Start giving your friends a hug before you leave their house, or give a love tap to your pals you see in the hallway at school. Although they may seem small, this small act of kindness is one thing we can do to positively impact this world. 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.