sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

It’s easy to get overwhelmed half way through the semester. There are papers to write, tests to study for and projects to do. Finding time to relax can feel nearly impossible, but being happy regardless of stress doesn’t have to be time-consuming. 

1. Put the phone down.

Phones and social media suck time away. Try using that time to reconnect with your surroundings instead. We can get so caught up in our own heads and in our phones that we ignore the world around us. Take that extra few minutes to enjoy the weather or look out the window instead of looking from your laptop screen to your phone screen. This will help you slow down, and life will feel less hectic.   

Some people say that scrolling mindlessly on the Internet is relaxing, but it’s more screen time for your eyes and, especially in today’s political climate, it can create more stress. Instead of reaching for your phone next time you have a spare minute, look around you, be mindful and ask yourself if scrolling is helping you or stressing you out more.  

2. Indulge a little.

The easiest way to be happy is to do things that make you happy. If chocolate makes you happy, let yourself have a piece. If you relish your time spent reading, set time aside to read every day. Build things into your routine that you know will make you happy or at least will help improve your mood. Don’t leave your happiness up to chance.  

3. Give yourself time to ignore the clock.

Time is the main thing that keeps me from being happy. I obsess over it and constantly feel rushed. While you can’t control time, you can control your perception of it. Instead of pressuring yourself with tight deadlines, tell yourself that it’s okay if it takes a little bit longer to finish. If you’re not pressuring yourself, you will be more likely to get it done and do well. (Disclaimer: for this to work, you can’t procrastinate).

Another thing you can do is set alarms. For example, I set alarms when I read so that I can ignore the clock without worrying that I’ll miss class or work. 

4. Find a reason to laugh.

Laughing can make your day ten times better. I’m guilty of not laughing often, but I’ve found that the days I do laugh are always better than the days that I don’t. So, look up a funny video or find some irony in your everyday life.  

5. Move. 

I’m not saying you have to work out or run a mile, but laying on the couch all day probably won’t be fun after the first four or five hours. Take a walk. Stretch. Dance. Do something to move your body. Humans aren’t made to sit for hours and hours, and it’s not great for our eyes to stare at screens constantly. Incorporate a little motion into your day to give you a physical and mental break from homework.    

6. Let yourself be happy.

This might be the hardest thing on the list, but it’s the most obvious. Stop worrying. Focus on what you’re doing and then when it’s over, move on. You can’t be happy if you’re continuously reminding yourself of all of the stressful things that you have to do. Dread and worry will not make anything better, so don’t let yourself indulge in those feelings. It’s easier said than done, but if you concentrate on shutting down negative, unproductive thoughts, then you’ll free yourself from their influence.  

Sydney Wedbush

Murray State

Sydney Wedbush is a junior English/Creative Writing major at Murray State. When she's not reading or writing for class, she's reading and writing for fun. Want to find her in her natural habitat? Check the book store or library, and make Harry Potter references.