This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Natural Self Care 

The weather is getting warmer, and it’s becoming more acceptable to be out and about. You know what that means? It means that it’s no longer acceptable to look like a hermit. Here are some natural ways to get you back to feeling fantastic and looking your best. 

Teeth Whitener 

Over-the-counter teeth whiteners are typically made with hydrogen peroxide which agitates the proteins in your teeth. Rather than pay big bucks for just a few of these chemically filled strips, use this two ingredient teeth whitener instead! 

• Mix 4 teaspoons of turmeric powder with 2 heaping teaspoons of coconut oil. Mix until you have a paste and keep it in a glass container. Brush with the paste once a day, and you will quickly see a difference in your smile. 

• Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and will help the overall health of your mouth, so not only will this mixture help you brighten your smile, but it will reduce gum pain, gingivitis, and tooth enamel problems. Make sure to be careful when brushing with the turmeric and oil concoction! Turmeric will easily stain your brush and any other cloth you have around. I recommend buying a separate brush and wearing a shirt you do not care too much about when you are brushing! 

Face Mask 

A nice facial after a long day is a universal self-care favorite. Here is a mask recipe that you can make with three ingredients you can get from the school dining hall. 

• Smash ½ a banana into a bowl with 1 tablespoon orange juice, and 1 tablespoon honey. Mix until you get a thick paste and then spread it all over your face. The banana will leave your skin glowing and the citrus from the orange juice shrinks your pores. 

Oatmeal Foot Scrub

Flip-flop season is upon us, ladies! The thought of wearing open-toed shoes is both exciting and a little scary! There is no doubt my feet need some love after ignoring them throughout the winter. Give yourself a little pedicure at home starting with this oatmeal scrub to get your feet baby soft. 

• Mix equal amounts of oatmeal and milk into a paste. Put the paste on your feet for 20 minutes and then rinse with warm water. Moisturize with lotion and some polish, and you’re ready to wear any shoes your heart desires. 

Hair mask This hair mask is perfect for the summer time! The three 3  ingredient mixture will help repair dry, brittle hair, and will leave your hair looking shiny and healthy! 

• Blend 1 ripe avocado, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons honey, and any essential oil you have lying around in a food processor untiltill nice and smooth. Lather the mixture onto your damp hair starting at the ends and massaging it in, moving upward. Pull up your hair with a scrunchie or  clip and sit in the sun for 20 minutesmin (or blow dry for 10 minutes) and then wash your hair as you typically do. 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.