This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Greta Thunberg, a sixteen-year-old from Sweden, is catching the eye of everyone across the globe. Greta has dedicated herself to climate change awareness and how it is changing the world every second of every day.

(Photo courtesy of KESQ News)

On September 23, 2019, Greta made an appearance at the UN speaking in front of many world leaders, ripping them to shreds with her powerful speech. “I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean, yet you have come to us young people for hope,” she said. “How dare you?” She continues to speak of her childhood being ripped away, of people suffering and dying, and of ecosystems collapsing. “All you continue to talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth. How dare you?”

(Photo courtesy of Mårten Thorslund via Medium)

She has spoken at many large meetings, the climate strike in New York City, and brings awareness across social media. Although she continues to be mocked and made fun of by leaders throughout the world, she pushes forward. She is a powerhouse of a young lady and her voice should be heard. We need to step up and help Greta and ourselves, for our and our children’s future depends on it. Start finding the right ways to make your life and community greener.  We only have so long until there is nothing else we can do. Step up, be proactive, and do your part to save our home. We’re running out of time. 

(Infographic courtesy of NOAA)

Grace is a freshman at Murray State and is from Newburgh, Indiana. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in cognitive science. Grace loves to mess around with make-up and is obsessed with skincare. You can find Grace on twitter and Instagram at @graaciexx!