Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Have a Non-Depressing Single AF Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

“Anything special planned for Valentine’s day?” Do I look like I have anything s p e c i a l planned for Valentine’s? (Casual plug for my article regarding my lack of relationships). I have never had any ~~~special~~~ plans for Valentine’s day, and let me say, if you don’t have at least something going on, somehow sitting in bed bored and alone feels even worse. This year is going to be different; I’m going to make it be different. As much as I would like to already be in a long-term relationship in order to have these **//special//** plans everyone wants, that’s just not this year’s story. Here, we have a list of non-depressing things to do this Valentine’s (day, week, month, whatever) to hopefully keep all the singles out there at bay and stop ruining the mood.

assorted valentines candies
Laura Ockel/Unsplash

(Photo by Laura Ockel on Unsplash)

1. Secret Admirer– a gift exchange similar to Secret Santa, a group of six girls and I are playing this year. We wrote down on pieces of paper our favorite colors, animals, and any other fun fact that felt necessary, and we randomly drew names. With a ten to fifteen dollar max, we will be secretly leaving small gifts for our person throughout the week only to receive ourselves with the “big gifts” at the end of the week.

2. Watch a movie– but not a romantic one. Watch a disney movie or a documentary, something other than The Notebook or Titanic that will initiate the feels and the waterworks. Slip on those fuzzy socks, pull the blankets up to your chin, and get all cozied in sans makeup. Bask in how comfortable a naked face and some sweatpants are in comparison to fake eyelashes and a fancy dress.

3. Plan your candy sale trip– oh yes, February 15th. The day all the candy goes on sale. Make a list. What do you want to stock up on? Some will be in higher demands than others, and some will be in higher quantities than others. Also, if you just happen to like pink and red decor, this will also be a good time to stock up on those too. Everything will be on sale, so plan ahead. You won’t be the only deal chaser on that day. This is black friday for candy lovers.

4. Treat yo self– nails looking a little dull? Get that manicure! Been hoping that sweater will finally go on sale? It won’t! So just buy it! Don’t think you can afford treating yourself? Think of all the money you save being single. Don’t have to pay for dates or buy an extra gift on their birthday or holidays. You’re filthy rich, and you deserve to spend that single money on yourself! If you’re proactive enough, try to order and time shipping ahead of time so that it even arrives around Valentine’s day.

Valentine’s day isn’t always about loving a romantic partner. You can show love to your friends, your family, and yourself on this day. Don’t let the idea of being single on this day break your spirit. It’s about what you make it to be, not what anyone else expects it to be.

Allison Hine

Murray State '20

Allison is a psychology major at Murray State University and can be easily spotted across campus by her purple hair. As a St. Louis native, she loves Ted Drewes and will certainly ask where you went to high school. She's been riding horses for over eight years and hopes to someday afford a horse of her own. But, her Pitbull, Piccolo, will do for now. When she's not talking about her dog, Allison can usually be found binging the latest shows on Hulu and Netflix (her favorites at the moment are Station 19 and Glee (again)).