etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Actually Keep Your Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Resolutions are the biggest tradition of the New Year’s Season. Even though New Year’s resolutions have been made for thousands of years, it is well known that most fail. To keep a resolution, you need to be motivated, so here are 5 ways to help you stay on track (or, if you’ve already abandoned your goal, get back on track) with your New Year’s Resolution.

1. Break It Down

Having trouble conquering such a big goal? Evaluate your resolution and break it down into smaller goals. As you accomplish these smaller goals, you’ll feel more accomplished, which will motivate you to accomplish more and complete your resolution.

2. Plan It Out

Plan how you will accomplish each of your smaller goals. What will help you accomplish it? What will tempt you to abandon it? Think through your goals, and plan for temptations. This way, when you are tempted, you get through it and stay on track.

3. Set Reminders

One way to make sure you accomplish your goal is to remind yourself about it. For example, if you have a goal to be healthier, set reminders to exercise. Use the reminder app on your phone, or use one of the apps from the from the best reminder and task apps for iPhone and for Android.

4. Equip Yourself

Another way to make sure you accomplish your resolution is to make sure you’re fully equipped. If you have everything you need to succeed, you will likely be motivated to put it to good use and get stuff done. A good planner, like one from this list, will help you track your resolution as you go and help you be more organized.

5. Reward Yourself

If you need some extra motivation, include small prizes in your plan. When you accomplish one of your small goals, treat yourself to something small you’ve been wanting. As you go, you’ll see that achieving your resolution will be reward enough!

Lauren is a junior studying History and Education at Murray State. She enjoys reading, spends an unhealthy amount of time on Twitter, and takes long naps as often as she can. She loves the oxford comma, going to concerts, and watching Try Guys videos to avoid doing homework. You can find her on Instagram (@laurenedminster) and Twitter (also @laurenedminster).