Career

Everything You Need To Know To Absolutely Kill That Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, to highlight our best qualities and show off everything we’ve learned so far in college to a hiring employer…

…and whether you find yourself on the hunt for an internship or a full-time position, the process can be scary, especially if it’s your first time. Now, most of us have been through interviews before. Ya know, that time you became a summer lifeguard or a part-time waitress, that didn’t come without a little elbow grease! But none of that compares to the overwhelming anticipation of your first real big girl interview.

Whether you’ve been there before and are still getting the hang of things, or you’ve never stepped foot in a formal interview, everyone can benefit from these following pieces of advice because if you haven’t already you will soon find yourself quietly sitting in the waiting area while the receptionist click-clacks away at her computer as you listen for the anticipated footsteps marching down the hallway to round the corner looking for you.

So, before you step foot in that office here are a few things to know that’ll help you outshine the competition.

Preparation Prepare for that job interview like it’s an exam. Research the company down to its very core. Know everything there is to know, well, everything that’s available to the public. Let’s not get stalkerish, but make sure you do your homework. Knowing their lingo and being able to talk about the company fluently will set you apart as a candidate for the position. They’ll notice your ability to learn quickly and not only will that impress them, but so will your eagerness to take initiative. They’ll value someone with the potential to fit into a company that already has its wheels on the ground and running. 

Also, have your cover letter and resume on hand. Even if you’ve already sent it through email, bring it with you and present it to them. Allow it to be the topic of the interview, heck, encourage it. That piece of paper highlights your best attributes and accomplishments, make sure it lands in their hands.

Appearance Remember, it’s always better to be overdressed. Recently, I showed up for an interview wearing a pantsuit and heels, perfectly fitting into a room full of fellow interviewees as I took my seat next to all the other figures in a black blazer and black dress pants. Well, all except one girl who I saw sitting to the far right corner of the room in a denim jacket and leggings. She got called into her interview three persons before me, and though I was rooting for her all the while, that day I vowed to always be overdressed. Employers won’t mind telling you what’s expected if you just ask them, but if you forget, arrive business professional.

My best piece of advice, “dress for the job you want, not the job you have.” Obviously, this comes with some boundaries because you want to dress appropriately according to the reason for your presence, but there’s nothing wrong with looking like you have ambitions or intentions of rising out of that entry-level position.

Now, my denim jacket friend did not blend into the crowd that occupied that waiting room like I did, and really, my blending in isn’t totally awesome either. If you can, try to find a simple accent piece that will help you stand out. Whether you add a pop of color or a simple belt, but whatever it is, make sure it doesn’t outshine you as a person.

Have you ever been having a conversation with someone who has something stuck in their teeth and you didn’t pay attention to a word they said because you can’t stop staring at it? Don’t let this be you. Don’t wear jingling bracelets or loads of makeup, or anything that could take the focus off you and what you’re saying.

You want them to remember your face and your qualities, not your jewelry or clothes. Allow them to get to know your potential. Wear neutral makeup, and let your smile be your most memorable feature, leading me to my next point.

Confidence

Confidence is key, and if you’ve done your homework on the company you should have lots of it. Know exactly what they’re looking for and be that. You’ve had the training. You’re qualified. You’re perfect for this job, show them that! Remember, they’re wanting to find what they need in you. By inviting you in, they’re already betting on you. A company wouldn’t waste their time with a candidate they don’t believe is applicable, so go in there and prove to them that they’re on their way to making their best professional decision. Walk with purpose. Keep eye contact. Have a solid handshake and nail that proper introduction.

Rock the Awky Talky As awkward as it is, make yourself seem like your favorite topic. When they ask you questions about yourself, gleam like you just can’t wait to answer it, like you’ve been dying all day to tell someone the three things your best friend would describe you as. Always take your answer to the question and circle it back around to the service of other people. For example, to answer the above question I would start off highlighting myself saying, “my best friend would describe me as energetic, approachable and welcoming. I am always on the go and very high energy and eager to make sure people around me feel comfortable and welcome. I’m very much about community and building relationships with everyone I meet.” See, I took a few positive qualities and showed them how their work environment could benefit from that. Because remember, they want to get to know you, but they also want to know why you would be an asset. 

Quit worrying Don’t doubt yourself. There’s no time for that and nothing good will come from it, so take a deep breath and choose to let every experience teach you something. Even if you are denied a position, which you will be because everyone is, you are not walking away a loser. You gained valuable information and insight that can be redirected toward getting your dream job. See every “no” as a stepping stone and remember that rejection is only redirection.

Thank them! Thank them for their time, and I don’t just mean verbally over a goodbye handshake on your way out. Take a thank you letter, an envelope and a stamp with you in the car. Write out a simple, but personal thank you referring back to something that stuck out to you in the interview and toss it in their mailbox. These people get hundreds of emails a day, so do something different and drop an old-fashioned letter in the mail. You never know, it could be the deciding factor if you and another candidate appear to fit the position’s mold perfectly.

Michaelyn is a senior journalism student with a minor in English at Murray State University and along with being a writer for Her Campus, she is a content creator for The Odyssey! She loves Jesus, musicals, makeup, writing and laughing. Michaelyn is also bilingual--as she is fluent in memes and GIFs. On campus, she works as a student public relations writer, is a member of the Murray State Social Media Team and is involved in her sorority. When Michaelyn isn't busy at school, work or being the "GIF Queen," she can be found cuddled up with her puppy and a cup of coffee.