This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

First off, let me just say that I am not a Registered Dietitian, so this is not hard-and-fast information. It’s just a compilation of some of my tips and tricks!

Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays for many reasons. There’s the quality time with family, the fact that you get to go home, and of course, the food. But some people can get discouraged that all of their previous healthy eating and exercise is just thrown out the window. This is not the case at all! You can totally get through Thanksgiving without ending up in a food coma! I want to give you my advice on how to be smart about your nutrition while still enjoying your Thanksgiving. And Thanksgiving is really all about family, so I included some of my family traditions in here, as well.

But First, Coffee

Photo courtesy of Guilherme Stecanella

Yes, you all knew there would be coffee featured if you have read even one of my articles. My mom and I have a tradition when I am home of going to Starbucks in the morning. And while it may be tempting to drink a grande pumpkin spiced latte, try getting it skinny (which means it has sugar free syrup and skim milk). Or even better, opt to have a cup of black coffee instead! Something about a cup of warm black coffee seems to cut right through the cold, fall air. Also opt for a healthy breakfast such as fruit or some fall oatmeal (cinnamon, pumpkin, or apple) with lots of fiber. Baked goods at coffee shops are full of added sugars, fats, and calories, so this simple swap can made big changes in your diet.

After my mom and I go to Starbucks, we head home to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in the kitchen. My favorite float is usually Snoopy, and I typically know none of the singers unless they were on Disney Channel! While we watch, we take all of the casseroles that we mixed up from the night before and put them into the oven.

Appetizers

Photo courtesy of Rod Long

I don’t know about you all, but I am most definitely a lover of all appetizers, but these can be high in sodium and fats. And while it is okay to have them, there is a big meal in your future, so pace yourself! Grab a plate and put your food on there. I know I am guilty of walking by the chips and dip and not even realizing how much I am actually eating. Putting your food on a plate will help you gauge how much you are consuming.

For pretty much every holiday, my Mom has all of these fancy cheeses and dips that she arranges on a cutting board. Basically just think of those classy Pinterest cheese platters. That’s exactly what it looks like! I absolutely love helping arrange this and pretending that I am on Food Network. There are things like blue cheese praline dip, salsa, salami, olives, grapes, and everything you could ever want!

Drinks

It’s okay to have a glass of wine or something if you’re feeling fancy, but water is always best. I try not to drink calorie-rich beverages, especially when I am eating a big meal. Choosing beverages with fewer calories is a simple and very effective way to decrease your calorie intake.

Once the appetizers have been cleared and it’s about time for food, I’m usually instructed to take “drink orders,” so I make my rounds to each family member and take mental notes of their drinks. Then I get out our nice crystal glasses (that we only use for Thanksgiving and Christmas) and start passing them out.

Desserts

Photo courtesy of Charles Deluvio

Yes, you know I had to talk about desserts. To be honest, I’m not really a dessert person, so it is difficult for me to relate. But my one recommendation would be to just keep in the back of your mind the fact that there will be dessert after the meal. The worst feeling is wanting dessert but being super full. Also, don’t feel like you have to eat dessert just because it is there. Maybe take your post-Thanksgiving, turkey-induced nap and then go for some pie and ice cream! Or share a dessert with your cousin or sister.

At the end of the day, these are just tips to help, not strict rules that you must abide by. Thanksgiving is often focused on the food, but really, it’s about family and being grateful for what you have. The food is just an added bonus. So go crazy if you want to and then maybe exercise later. Life is about balance and that applies in nutrition, as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah is a senior Dietetics major. She loves to be involved and keep busy, so you will probably see her drinking an iced coffee. She also enjoys binging HGTv and Food Network.