Brain Food to Help You Survive Finals Week

Finals week is a super stressful time for students. College meals – not that they were much healthier before finals – reduce to coffee alone. But relying on caffeine might not be the way to go. Certain foods can actually enhance or worsen your academic performance.

The foods that boost your alertness make a great breakfast meal. Try it out!

• Eggs
  • Yogurt 
  • Fruits
  • Nuts
  • Oatmeal
  • Blueberries

Photo via Realmac Dan

Just make sure you stay away from foods that will slow down your brain. Anything with white flour and refined sugar like:

• Desserts
  • Cakes
  • Rice
  • Muffins
  • Chocolate
  • Candy

I know – it hurts. Remember it isn’t forever. Think of the sweets as a treat after you do well on your finals! And remember: this doesn’t replace studying! But who knows? Maybe a healthy breakfast will give you the brainpower to bump your grade up a letter.

Cady Stribling

Murray State '22

Cady double majors in English and Journalism at Murray State University. In her free time she loves reading, dancing, and watching Mean Girls (obviously). Her favorite memory is swimming with dolphins - which is also her favorite animal. She is an avid supporter of the Oxford comma; her sweet tooth is never ending as is her passion for musicals. Cady hopes her future profession includes writing, traveling, and eating a plethora of ice cream.