This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

This past spring when we switched to online school my eyes burned and my temples ached at the end of each day. For the first time in years I was getting migraines that would last for days on end! Without a doubt, I knew that these headaches and weary eyes were directly related to the number of hours I was spending in front of my laptop. After a few weeks of suffering, I was willing to try anything that would relieve my symptoms so I could get back to work! I had heard of blue light glasses, but I was skeptical. I thought it was a placebo and people were just hopping on the craze for the cute fashionable glasses. 

After learning about the effects of blue light and the benefits of the blocking glasses, I realized they may be the solution to my problem! 

What is blue light? 

• Remember in middle school science class when you learned that white light is really all the different color wavelengths together? Well, blue light glasses have specialty lenses that block the blue light wavelengths that are relatively high in energy compared to other light.Too much blue light exposure can result in retina damage and digital eye strain. 

What are the benefits of blue light glasses? 

• By blocking out the blue light, you can relieve your eyes from straining due to digital screen exposure. Wearing the glasses can also help prevent headaches, and your eyes won’t tire as quickly. 

• Blue light exposure can eventually lead to Macular Degeneration, which is the leading cause of blindness. Blocking this light can help to keep your retina healthy! 

• You can sleep better! Like I mentioned before, blue light is high in energy and can turn your brain into active mode! By eliminating blue light, your brain will be able to relax when you are watching a movie or scrolling through your phone to wind down.

My blue light glasses have been my top purchase this past year. Since getting them my headaches have become less frequent, and my eyes stay fresh longer!  I do not know what I would do without them! 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.