This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

I just want to thank whoever made it possible for me to throw a bunch of fruit in a blender and puree it into delicious, mixed-up goodness. Last summer, I scored a Ninja Bullet blender from a thrift store for $10, and after buying a new cup online, my life (and diet) has never been the same. I love smoothies, and today I want to share with you five of my favorite recipes, especially since smoothies have it all: customize it however you like, they’re packed with protein and fiber, and they’re delicious! For the below recipes, it is assumed you will be making one smoothie/one serving; for all recipes, throw the ingredients in the blender and puree to your heart’s content.

Classic PB&B

(Photo by Sonnie Hiles on Unsplash)

Ingredients:

1 banana

2 tablespoons of peanut butter

1-1 ½ cups of milk or preferred milk substitute

½ cup ice (or freeze the banana beforehand)

Pinch of salt

Peanut butter and banana is a match made in heaven, and this blend is perfect for when you need a little extra protein in your life, not to mention that the addition of the banana makes this a great post-workout drink!

Green Tea Pineapple + Strawberry

Ingredients:

½ cup chopped pineapple

2-4 large strawberries

½ cup ice (or freeze fruit beforehand)

1 teaspoon grated ginger root

1-1 ½ cups chilled green tea

I love mixing it up when it comes to my smoothie medium. A lot of people want to go straight for milk or water, but why not use things like chilled tea for added benefits? Plus, a smidge of ginger in the blend can help aid digestion.

Creamsicle Delight

Ingredients:

1 orange, peeled and segments divided

½ teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 cup whole milk or coconut milk

2 teaspoons of sugar

2 teaspoons of lemon juice (optional) OR orange zest (optional)

I love orange Creamsicles, but if you’re trying to cut down on sugar, this is a great substitute. It’s also a great example of how citrus flavors compliment each other; I like to add the lemon juice to really make the orange flavor pop.

Watermelon/Mint Refresher

(Photo by JACKELIN SLACK on Unsplash)

Ingredients:

1 cup cubed watermelon

1-5 fresh mint leaves, to taste

1/2 cup ice

1 1/2 cups water

This simple recipe is perfect for hot summer days, and it provides a really refreshing flavor. Watermelon compliments mint really well, and it’s especially delicious if enjoyed on a warm day off, sipping it on a porch somewhere, (or just walking around campus.) 

This final recipe was taken from the article I wrote in fall 2017 about aloe vera, and it’s still as delectable now as it was then!

Tropical Blend

1 medium-sized aloe vera leaf

1 fresh or canned mango

2 cups of pineapple juice

½ cup of dairy or almond milk

½ cup of ice

Aloe gel is super good for you, and this smoothie will get your gut all the fiber it needs. It’s super creamy and I like to freeze the fruit and add the ice to make it even thicker. Make sure when you filet the aloe leaf to avoid getting any of the green parts in your smoothie, as that contains latex!

Simon Placr

Murray State '20

Simon Placr (PLAY-ser) is an Organizational Communications student at Murray State University. He enjoys playing with his pets, watching reruns of The Golden Girls, and finding new ways to annoy his friends. He is the Event Coordinator for Her Campus Murray State and can be found on Instagram as @simon_lucas98.