This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

We all know thar quarentining during COVID-19 has been an extremely stressful experience. Between the mask requirements, social distancing, limited grouping, and people not being allowed in each others’ dorms, it has been difficult to hang out with friends or have a normal college experience. For freshmen, this was already a big transition that we had to deal with. Adding the uncertainty of coronavirus has only made it more difficult for us to adapt to our situations, especially because we have not been in college before and really do not know the “normal” experience. Many of us are finding it hard to form relationships with people because of the strict guidelines placed by schools. Living in a small town with entirely new people makes it that much harder to find things to do. I have made friends, but it is difficult for us to find a place to hang out together that isn’t at a restraunt or just walking around campus. Freshman Ashley Conder at Murray State University says “this semester is nothing like what I thought my college experience would be and it is really hard to meet people because of Covid.”

However, one thing that brings us together is the fact that we are all going through this together, so we all know how it feels. Fortunately, because so many people are feeling this way, there have been a lot of people giving advice to the incoming freshman class about what to do during college. So, I’ve compiled a list of all of the best activities that people have told me to do!

Activities to do During COVID-19!

1. Have a socially distanced picnic! With the fall season quickly approaching and the weather being beautiful, it is the perfect time to pack a picnic and head up to one of Murray’s parks, or even in the quad on campus! Of course, social distancing is necessary, but it can be super fun to either order or go to Walmart and make your own food! The bugs are finally dying off and it is always a lot of fun to go outside and get some fresh air. 

2. Go to the Murray Farmer’s Market! This is a really fun weekend activity to go do with friends or even by yourself! They sell fruits and vegetables, shirts, crafts, breads, and a little bit of everything else! When the weather is nice, gather up a couple friends and go check it out if you haven’t already. 

3. Go to the drive-in movies! Sometimes, these are safer to go to than regular movie theaters. My friends and I went to the Calvert City Drive-In a couple of weeks ago and it was so much fun! All of the cars are socially distanced, and so are the lines for food. You get to see two movies for $8 a person, and, though they may not be brand new movies, they show a lot of classics and fan favorites, so there is always something for everyone!

4. Get outside! Studies have shown that people who go outside more often are less stressed. A lot of the time, we forget that we don’t have to be trapped inside the four white walls of our dorms. Going outside for a walk around campus or around time will help you get your exercise in and could help you focus better in some of your classes. If outdoor exercise isn’t quite for you, the Wellness Center on Murray State’s campus is open until 11 pm and they have a pool and multiple kinds of exercise machines!

5. Do some crafts! If we are all going to be stuck quarentining, we might as well make it fun! One of my favorite activities is to craft or paint. It doesn’t have to be anything hard or complicated, as long as you are having fun! Get together with your friends and some supplies from Walmart (right now they are selling cute little pumpkins and DIY masks) and make some memories and crafts. 

6. Go geocatching! If you haven’t heard of geocatching, you basically just go around town finding items that people have hidden, and all you have to do is download the geocatch app! It’s so much fun because it is like a little puzzle each time. You have hints available that can help you find the item, but I prefer to do it without. This is activity that will get you up and moving, but is also a lot of fun to do with friends, and it is easy to socially distance!

7. Drive around town! If all else fails, driving is a good way to clear your mind or to be able to talk to friends. Everything is closing a little earlier now because of Covid, so there isn’t much of a night life right now. However, just driving around is a lot of fun and you still get to be with the friends that you have made. 

8. Go to the Elk and Bison Prarie! The Elk and Bison Prarie is a natural place where elk and bison can roam! There is a small road where you can drive through to see all of the different animals and plants, and, though you can’t get out of the car, it is always interesting to see the animals roaming around! The price for this is $5 per car and they are open from dawn to dusk every day, so you will always have an opportunity to see them.

9. Go to the Hitching Post in Aurora! It is about a 30 minute drive from Murray, but it is honestly one of the cutest stores I have been in! They sell all kinds of handmade items, toys, gifts, and tshirts, but in the second part of the store, they have one of the biggest soda collections you will ever see. All of them are available for sale, and the flavors are super interesting. Before Covid, they had a soda tasting every Tuesday evening. Of course, they aren’t doing that right now, but hopefully they will start it again soon! Until then, you may have to buy the sodas, but they are definitely worth it for all of the different kinds that you get to choose from. 

10. Go to Kentucky Lake or Lake Barkley! We are so close to both of the lakes that you would be crazy not to go! It’s so much fun to get out on a boat and drive around and swim with your friends. Don’t forget the sunscreen.  

Even though this may not be the easiest or most fun year, there are a bunch of fun activities in and around Murray that you can do, either for free or cheap! So what are you waiting for? Get out and do some fun stuff!

Taylor Moore

Murray State '24

Taylor Moore is currently a sophomore at Murray State University majoring in Advertising. On campus she is part of the Honors College, Ads Club, Springer-Franklin RCC Executive Board, and Her Campus! When she isn't in her classes, she enjoys kayaking, hanging out with friends, crafting, and other on campus activities.