This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Starting a new semester can be stressful, but starting the semester off right is one thing you can do to make the semester great. Here are six tips for creating a less stressful semester.

1. Get a planner

Planners are a great way to relieve the stress of a new semester. Planners can help you get organized and manage your time. Having everything written down keeps you on top of things and not overbooked.

2. Dress to impress on the first day of classes

You know what they say, “dress for success.” Well, at least on the first day. After that Nike shorts and XL t-shirts are totally acceptable. 

3. Start each day with a positive attitude

As simple as it sounds, a positive attitude can make a huge difference in your stress levels. An ounce of positivity can go a long way. Get pumped about your classes and start each day off with positivity and your semester will be off to a great start.

4. Take time for yourself

Treat yourself. Stress builds us so easily; especially at the start of a new semester. Take time away from classwork to breathe and do something you enjoy.

5. Read your syllabus

Reading your syllabus for each class is a great way to reduce future stress during the semester. You know what each professor is expecting from you. You can plan your semester ahead and get on top of your classes.

6. Take advantage of resources that are offered on campus

Most campuses offer free tutoring services, counseling services, and support systems. When you are struggling during the semester take advantage of the resources your campus offers. 

Be proactive this semester. You know what causes you to stress more than anyone, and this semester figure out what you can do to prevent stress from taking over. You go this!

***all gifs courtesy of giphy***

Sarah Burden

Murray State '20

Sarah Burden is a senior at Murray State University. She is a PR major and minoring in Journalism. She is a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha and loves her ladybugs. In her free time she enjoys experimenting with makeup, drinking coffee, posting on social media and spending time with her bird. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @sarahburden__