This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

“The Big Bang Theory” isn’t just another sitcom, it has become a cultural phenomenon that has the hearts of a number of people throughout the globe. Personally, no matter my mood, the time of the day, or the people I’m with, this show always comes to mind when I want to binge. Beyond its witty humour and endearing characters, the show offers a treasure trove of advice, experiences, and more we can surely learn from. As we delve into the lives of the gang, we discover a plethora of lessons that can prove helpful in many different scenarios throughout our lives.

Sheldon teaches us to embrace our quirks and idiosyncrasies without apology. His unwavering commitment to his routine and the things he’s interested in, even if it’s his seat on the couch, teaches us to stay true to ourselves. His relentless pursuit of knowledge and dedication to his work highlight the importance of striving for perfection and excellence in one’s chosen field. Another point, that a lot of people won’t use for Sheldon, is his value for friendship. No matter how much it looks as if he has been taking them for granted, etc, we all know that Sheldon cared a lot about his chosen family.  Sheldon gives an uncharacteristically heartfelt acceptance speech when he received the Nobel Prize that, to fans who’ve been tuning in since the show’s beginning, shows how much the character has grown out of his egotistical and selfish personality over the course of 12 seasons.

“I have a very long and somewhat self-centred speech here, but I’d like to set it aside. Because this honour doesn’t just belong to me; I wouldn’t be up here if it weren’t for some very important people in my life,” he says, and thanks his family and his “other family.” “I was under a misapprehension that my accomplishments were mine alone. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have been encouraged, sustained, inspired, and tolerated, not only by my wife, but by the greatest group of friends anyone ever had.” He asks the gang to stand.

“I was there the moment when Leonard and Penny met. He said to me that their babies would be smart and beautiful. And now that they’re expecting, I have no doubt that that will be the case,” Sheldon says, accidentally revealing the baby news even before Penny’s parents know. “I apologise if I haven’t been the friend that you deserve. But I want you to know, in my way, I love you all.”

Oof, let’s wipe away that tear and come to Leonard. One of the key things we can learn from Leonard is communication. From being a tag-along to becoming more assertive and knowing when to put his foot down, Leonard’s experiences navigating relationships with Penny and his friends underscore the importance of effective communication. Another moment to learn from is his determination to overcome a setback, even if Sheldon kept scoffing at him for being an experimental physicist. Leonard’s journey from struggling physicist to successful researcher demonstrates the power of perseverance in the face of adversity. Leonard has often been the rock of the group and held them all together tightly. Like almost the dad of the group. As a member of a diverse group of friends, it clearly shows that Leonard values inclusivity and acceptance.

A Leonard moment that will always be a part of my heart are his vows to Penny-

Leonard: “Penny, we are made of particles that have existed since the moment the universe began. I like to think those atoms travelled 14 billion years through time and space to create us so that we could be together and make each other whole.”

Penny: “Leonard, you’re not only the love of my life, you’re my best friend. And you’ve got a friend in me. You got troubles. I got ’em too. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for you. We stick together and we can see it through because you’ve got a friend in me.”

Yes, Penny just sang that song from Toy Story. But Leonard loved it and that is what’s important. Coming to Penny, how many times have we been rejected in life and just take the L and try to move on from it? Well, Penny’s journey from aspiring actress to successful pharmaceutical sales representative is a testament to the importance of pursuing one’s dreams. Her perseverance should inspire all of us, every day. Penny’s experiences, both professionally and personally, are marked by ups and downs but her willingness to learn from her mistakes and grow as a person reflects the value of humility and self-reflection.

Now, Howard is our typical boy’s boy. Despite his many quirks there are a lot of things we do learn from him. Firstly, we learn camaraderie and support from him being there for Raj, Leonard, and Sheldon, no matter what. His loyalty is unmatched and shows the power of genuine connections. As a person of diverse cultural background, Howard brings a unique perspective to the group. His friendships with characters from various walks of life promote inclusivity and acceptance. Howard’s love for engineering is balanced by his passion for hobbies like magic and cosplay. His ability to find joy in both work and leisure serves as a reminder to prioritise self-care and personal interests.

One of the most important things you can learn from Raj is to always work on yourself. Raj’s journey toward self-acceptance, particularly regarding his cultural background and sexuality, teaches us the importance of embracing one’s identity. His growth in confidence and self-assurance shows us the power of self-acceptance and how we should incorporate self-betterment in our everyday lives. Raj’s romantic misadventures often lead to humorous but valuable lessons about love and relationships. His willingness to learn from his mistakes and grow as a person reflects the importance of self-reflection and personal growth.

Even though they joined the show later on, Amy and Bernadette too became integral parts of the show and bring their own lessons. Amy’s unapologetic embrace of her eccentricities and unconventional interests encourages viewers to embrace their own uniqueness. Her confidence in being true to herself serves as a powerful example of self-acceptance and authenticity. Amy’s passion for neuroscience and her relentless pursuit of knowledge highlight the importance of intellectual curiosity. Her enthusiasm for learning inspires viewers to cultivate a thirst for knowledge and explore new interests. Her patience, understanding, and unwavering support for Sheldon demonstrate the transformative power of love and acceptance.

Bernadette’s journey from waitress to successful microbiologist highlights the importance of ambition and hard work in achieving career success. Her determination to excel in her field serves as an inspiration. Bernadette’s assertive personality, despite her petite stature, demonstrates the importance of standing up for oneself in relationships. Her ability to communicate her needs and boundaries effectively serves as a valuable lesson in assertiveness and self-advocacy. Bernadette shows us the importance of nurturing friendships and providing support to those we care about. Her loyalty and generosity serve as a reminder of the value of true friendship.

“The Big Bang Theory” offers valuable lessons on career advancement, assertiveness, friendship, self-acceptance, intellectual curiosity, and emotional intimacy. Their journeys serve as a source of inspiration and guidance, encouraging us that we are short of nothing to make what we want a possibility.

Buckle up your seat belts because I am going to tell you about myself. So, sit down and enjoy the experience of my 2 a.m. caffeine induced blabbering. Mentally stuck in the 1970s to 90s rock era, I laugh and joke all the time even if the conversation is dead serious and throw jokes like confetti. Every text I send has a "cat-on-keyboard" which y’all call a keysmash. I’m very proud of my lingo which everyone just keeps adapting but eh, iconic, I guess :P I am that hyper kid who dances and sings all the time but in public will be so silent until I’m comfortable. Music is my whole personality- half the time I’m talking, just assume I’m quoting lyrics. My response to a single dopamine hit from a good song is listening to it until I have wrung out every last neurotransmitter out of it. I’m constantly making impulsive decisions out of boredom, such as starting my own magazine, but eh, they all turn out so swag. *chef’s kiss* My personal work style is closer to spontaneous bursts of energy than organised and consistent efforts. Being from a quintessential fauji Punjabi family, I’m from everywhere and nowhere but I completed my schooling from Navy Children School, Mumbai and am pursuing my B.Tech. in CSE w/ DS at MUJ. My other goals are to finally get a license for Scuba Diving (which yes, I’m giving more importance than a driver’s license but can you blame me 🏃‍♀️). Jokes apart, I sincerely hope you all like my work. Thank you for being here <3