This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

World Suicide Prevention Day is observed annually on September 10th. World Suicide Prevention Day is in place for the purpose of encouraging people to engage with one another and join together to spread awareness on suicide prevention and support.

Suicide rates today are alarmingly much higher than they’ve been in the past. There’s increasing evidence that the presence of social media and the Internet can influence suicide-related behavior. Over the past couple of years, being a victim of cyberbullying has proven to be more common in adolescents. In fact, more than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyber threats online. Cyberbullying, when directly linked to suicide takes on the term “cyberbullicide.” A survey was taken to show distressing statistics that “approximately 2,000 middle school children that indicated that victims of cyberbullying were almost two times as likely to attempt suicide than those who were not.” Today, in a media-influenced world, it’s more important than ever to be cautious of the words you put online and send to others. Words have such a powerful impact on people, and it is often overlooked. We should be raising this upcoming generation to support one another, especially on the Internet and instead shift the cyberbully language to words of encouragement and mutual appreciation.

Here are some statistics on suicide to further prove how important it is to actively work on prevention and supporting the ones around you:

A person dies every 40 seconds to suicide

Firearm suicides make up ⅔ of all gun deaths

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.

The time is now to help make a change. Start with something small, yet incredibly important. Check on the ones you love. Ask them how their day is. Something that may seem minuscule could be life-saving to someone else. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has a chapter in Allentown, so if you’re especially passionate about helping the greater community outside of Muhlenberg, there are organizations that need your assistance.

If you or someone you know is in a crisis, please call 800-273-TALK or text HOME to 741741 to be connected to free and confidential emotional support for people in a suicidal or emotional crisis, 24/7.

Ella Bruck

Muhlenberg '21

Hi I'm Ella! I'm a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and a Media & Communications and Anthropology double major. I'm the Managing Editor and event coordinator for Her Campus at Muhlenberg. Some things about me: I love working out, travelling, and eating food (especially sushi)! 
Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!