What to Do if You’re Having Roommate Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

It’s practically inevitable to not bump heads with someone you live with throughout your time at college. It may come to the point where the smallest of incidences can frustrate you and create tension within the room.

The number one thing to do if you’re having issues with your roommate is to communicate. Talk out the situation, not with other people, but with the person/people you live with. Talking about your issues to other people may get things off your chest, but it doesn’t actually help solve the problem. It is only when you directly address your roommate(s) and the issue that there will be any chance you have at fixing it. I’ll admit, this is easier said than done. But when you think about it, would you rather not talk to your roommate for a week because you’re annoyed with them, or would you rather have one seemingly uncomfortable conversation and then move on?

Or, if the situation isn’t as simple as “bitch, did you eat my Cheetos?”, then maybe letting the situation mellow out is best. Not to say that I think it is good to completely ignore one another’s existence by any means but to just avoid talking about the touchy subject until one or all parties are prepared to discuss it maturely. If you have a conversation before your thoughts are collected, the conversation won’t accomplish anything.

It’s also very important that you act in an appropriate and respectful manner. In the heat of the moment, if your discussion turns into a full-on argument, it is crucial to be super careful with your words. Remember, you still have to live with this person, and if it’s your further along in your college career, your roommate is most likely someone you’re close with at this point. One argument is not worth crushing a friendship. Communication is key, but word choice is imperative.

Jordyn Kamis

Muhlenberg '21

¯_(ツ)_/¯