Veganism May Not Be For Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

We’ve all the heard the arguments for veganism- the health benefits, environmental impact and the ethical argument surrounding it, but veganism isn’t for everyone. If you are a vegan, I applaud you for your commitment to such a cause, but I don’t believe it’s fair to play the ethical card when it comes to eating meat. To be a vegan at this day and age is a privilege and it’s important to realize that.

It’s Expensive

We’ve all heard the argument that a pound of beans is cheaper than a pound of meat, but we all know that vegan food is more than that. Vegans use soy, rice, almond and coconut alternatives to spice up their dishes, which ultimately racks up the prices of adapting a vegan lifestyle. Quinoa is an excellent substitute for a meatless diet, containing 9 grams of natural plant protein per cup, but can cost anywhere between $4.50 to $8 per pound. (Washington Post) The cost may hinder a consumer from buying it, despite its high, nutritional value.

A strictly-vegan diet can lack necessary nutrients if it is not balanced, making supplements a must. Vitamin B12 is a necessary vitamin for all and can typically be found in animal products such as meat, poultry, eggs, milk and fish. The absence of animal-based products in vegan diets places vegans at a higher risk for vitamin B12 deficiency. (National Institutes of Health) Vitamin supplements as well as protein powders are also recommended by some medical professions. If you choose to use supplements, veganism can be a costly alternative for a meat-based diet.

It’s Inaccessible In Some Communities

With the expenses in mind, it makes sense why it may be inaccessible in some communities. Veganism requires a certain degree of financial stability, making it a form of privilege. In New York City, a vast majority of public school students who come from lower-income families rely on Free Lunch Programs for daily meals. Most of these children depend on mozzarella sticks, chicken tenders, cold-cut sandwiches and pizza Fridays for nourishment, and the lack of plant-based options makes veganism virtually inaccessible to them. 

Stores that sell plant-based meat and dairy alternatives are absent in most of these communities as well. Superfood powerhouses like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s, as well as restaurants with vegan options are confined to more affluent neighborhoods across the country, leaving others without access to them.

It’s Not In My Culture

The reality is, many cultures are not suited for a vegan lifestyle. Food is heavily ingrained in a person’s cultural identity, and it would be extremely insensitive not to acknowledge that when preaching veganism. I grew up in a Filipino household where vegan options are scarce and basically unheard of.  A prominent fishing country, Filipino diets heavily consist of fish and seafood products in addition to meats. Our cuisine is very meat-heavy, and it’s nearly impossible to enjoy a meal with only plant-based products. Chicken Adobo, Pork Sisig and Beef Sinigang are present in most Filipino households, going vegan is not only difficult but an inconvenience as well. Preparing separate vegan dishes for gatherings will most likely leave you starving for the rest of the night (Not to mention the looks you will get if you ever turn down food offered to you!). A friend of mine who went vegan in college found it difficult to maintain a vegan lifestyle while at home, claiming that she had to get creative with her food in order not to inconvenience her parents with preparation. While it may be easy for some to become vegans, cross-culturally, a vegan diet may not be an appropriate option for others. 

To all the vegan preachers out there- we hear your message, but please, consider ours as well.

Lisha Rabeje

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg '21. Psychology / Education.  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.