The Ultimate Guide for Freshman to Staying Safe at College Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

College is notorious for four key aspects: academics, sports, Greek life, and partying. Once the weekend arrives, the repetitive cycle of boisterous music and loud people begins. If you’re a freshman, you either fall into the category of the party animal, or the one who’s friend(s) keeps dragging them to every sport/fraternity/sorority house. Despite where you belong in the two groups, it’s best to have a game plan before entering those crazy “circuses.” Luckily for you, I (an experienced college student), have all the advice to make sure your college partying experiences can be both fun and safe. Here is my guide to ensuring that you have the most enjoyable weekends during your first year in college.

Never go alone:

During class, you overhear about a Halloween costume party happening at one of the local clubs. It’s supposed to be “the most lit event of all time,” according to a bunch of the students. In a fleet of desperation, you message everyone from your contacts list. Unfortunately, they are all occupied with assignments and aren’t able to go that night. You don’t want to miss out, and even question if it would just be better to go alone. No matter how enticing it may seem, going solo can be dangerous. Yes, using Uber or Lyft is an excellent means of transportation, but it still requires getting in a car with a complete stranger. Also, going to a club alone can put anyone at a higher risk of being placed in a situation where they may not be able to ask anyone for help. Instead, use that free time to watch a spooky movie, master a makeup tutorial, cook, etc. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to dance your heart out during the year.

Watch Your Drink:

During health class or conversations with family, you may have been warned about stepping away from your beverage. Sure, labeling your name on the cup in black sharpie can prevent someone from accidentally taking a sip of your soda. However, it can’t protect you from the exposure of unwanted substances in your drink. According to the 2015 article, Incapacitated Rape is a Big Problem; author Jeff Nesbit discusses the statistics surrounding date rape drugs with first-year students. He further emphasizes, “During their freshman year of college, fifteen percent of women are raped while incapacitated from alcohol or drugs, according to new research.” (https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/at-the-edge/2015/11/18/rape-on-college-campuses-nearly-1-in-6-freshmen-women-are-assaulted). Pouring yourself a new drink and disregarding your previous cup can lower the risks of those types of incidents from occurring to you. Most importantly, if you witness an individual slipping something suspicious into anyone’s cup, tell someone IMMEDIATELY!

Stay Together:

Massive parties have a tendency of swallowing up people into different locations of the house. Always ensure that the friends you go with, are the same group of people that take you home. If you end up wanting to leave the party earlier than your gal pals, have a member of campus safety or the group you came with to walk you back, and then alert your friends that you made it back to the dorm in one piece. Friends always care, especially for your safety.

Avoid Pressures:

Remember those campy cartoons in school about the evils of drugs? It may have been easier to resist the temptation as an eight-year-old who’d never come in contact with that situation. Now, it’s ten years later, and you’re sitting on the couch next to your crush. He takes a smoke from a joint that’s being passed around the room in a nonchalant fashion. Suddenly, he hands it over to you and asks if you have ever taken a hit. You want to prove to your crush that you are as a cool as a cucumber. You know that marijuana is illegal in most states. Plus, you have no idea if anything has been laced within the weed. Never hesitate to say “no” if it’s something you don’t want to do. However, if you are nervous that people are going to judge you, there are other ways that you can respond.  Rather than blatantly saying no, you could always make up an excuse as to why you aren’t in the mood to smoke.

Download Noonlight on your Phone:

I recently discovered Noonlight while going through the app store. This app alerts the authorities such as the police and paramedics if you feel like you are in an unsafe situation. There is a panic button equipped with Noonlight that automatically connects you to a live person. The best part is that it’s a toll-free number, and they can track you down using their location device.

Never EVER Get Into a Car With Someone Who’s Intoxicated:

It’s not worth the risk. Drinking and driving are no different than allowing death to take the wheel. According to an article, Drinking and Driving in College, almost 2,000 college students are killed each year due to accidents caused by drunk driving (https://drinkinganddrivingincollege.weebly.com/factsstatistics.html). Your life is more valuable than getting a ride home from your friend who may be intoxicated. If you ever have doubts about your designated driver being sober, always take the safe route and split an Uber with a group of friends or call another friend that you trust to pick you up.

I hope you found these college partying tips useful. Now, enjoy the college partying experience, and remember to stay safe!

Alexandra Liebman is a senior at Muhlenberg College, and is currently finishing up her last semester. She is an English major, who loves all thing poetry and literature. In addition to her efforts on Her Campus, Alexandra is on the Publicity and Marketing Chair of her college's chapter of Challah for Hunger, and recently became a campus trendsetter for Her Campus.. When not writing articles or studying, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, hanging with her friends, and drinking too much caffeine. Fun fact: She participated in the Disney College program Spring '18 for six months!