This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

If you are anything like me, you are not a morning person; you despise the idea of getting out of bed, brushing your teeth, making an effort to put clothes on, and, of course, walking to your morning classes. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all just sleep in and wake up naturally, without having an alarm blast us awake? Unfortunately, unless you don’t care about earning a degree, we all have to make sacrifices to get to class, which includes waking up early. Luckily, that’s what I’m here for! Below is a list of suggestions to help awaken those who dread those early morning hours. 

Lay Out Your Clothes the Night Before

Deciding what you want to wear the next day will allow your morning routine to be much swifter. You won’t have to worry about rushing to find the perfect outfit!

A Nutritional Breakfast

Some individuals prefer to sleep in and skip breakfast. However, that is a very bad decision, as breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Consequently, those skipping breakfast are more likely to be lethargic throughout the day, less energetic, and less active, thereby, gaining weight. Having a healthy breakfast consisting of a variety of nutrients will boost your energy levels and render you more active throughout the day!

Coffee and Energy Drinks

Drinking beverages such as coffee and energy drinks that are filled with caffeine will make your mornings run smoothly. Your grumpiness from not getting enough sleep will disappear, as you will be revived and energized for that 8:00 A.M. math class, thus boosting your grades!

Alarm Bad Music

Setting your alarm clock to bad music or noises will most definitely wake you up in the morning. Studies have shown that if you wake up to bad music or sounds, you are more likely to get out of bed to turn off the excruciatingly painful noises.

Smart Plug

For those of you who neglect getting out of bed to turn the light on to wake up, you can purchase a smart plug. A smart plug is a device that plugs into your lamp and automatically turns your bedroom lights on when your alarm goes off. So, while you won’t have to get out of bed immediately, the light will still wake you up. This comes in handy for those of you who enjoy lying in bed for a while and scrolling through your phone in the mornings.  

Noy Messinger

Muhlenberg '21

My name is Noy Messinger and I am a Sophomore double majoring in Media and Communications and History with a minor in dance. I am extremely passionate about dance. I have been dancing since I was two years old and was a participant in my high school’s performing arts dance program.  Additionally, I am passionate about history. I love learning about different cultures and discovering their pasts as well as information about my own heritage.  
Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!