photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Not Everyone Has the Same Path

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

The best and most exciting things in life are often unexpected.  Most of us struggle everyday to have a plan in life. We plan for that certain someday.  We structure our lives around those hopes and dreams. When those plans get altered, we often find ourselves stressed out and confused.  We search for new plans and new goals. This is understandable, but there are limits.

The truth is, there is no one path.  Everyone has their own journey that they are meant to follow. No doubt, there are expectations that we need to meet. We just can’t walk around waiting for good things to happen. We need to plan for our education, our careers, and our hopes for our families. The challenge is to avoid becoming preoccupied with these plans to the extent that our plans paralyze us when our expectations are not met.

There is a well-known saying: “it’s always darkest before dawn.” 

Think about something unexpected that happened in your life. How many times did you meet a new friend, just after losing one? A new opportunity, just after making what seemed like a major career mistake? Or maybe just a new appreciation for life, after a struggle with your health? Now, think about something exciting that has recently occurred in your life. Did it happen exactly how you had expected it to? The future never plays out strictly the way we anticipate it.  Imagine how dull life would be if we never experienced something new, something challenging and exciting. Sometimes, you just need to “go for it” and have no regrets.  

Change is good. Change in healthy. When change occurs, be happy and be grateful. Keep your perspective and someday, you’ll better appreciate how life’s crazy experiences allowed you to unleash the power within you –the power overcome adversity, to find your own path, and to enjoy a rich and fulfilling life. Think positively about change and good things will happen when you least expect it.

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.