A Letter to Muhlenberg’s Incoming Class of 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

To the Class of 2022, 

Congratulations and welcome to Muhlenberg College! From myself, other students, and faculty we are so excited for you to begin your adventure in August! Your time at Muhlenberg will be filled with so many different memories and new experiences. 

As we head into May, and you are moving onto campus in a short 3.5 months, there are some things I want to share with you that I wish I had the luxury of knowing before I moved in:

Muhlenberg will be sending you different tests such as a foreign language placement test and a list with all of your First Year Seminar (FYS) options. My advice to you is to take these seriously, as they will indicate what your first semester of college will look like. Start thinking about classes you’re interested in, so when you come to campus for June Advising you have a good idea of the kind of schedule you want to build. Something that many of you probably know is that your course schedule at college is completely up to you. That was something very exciting for me when I went into June advising – I had the power to create a schedule that I loved.

Create a list of things you want to bring with you to college as well as things you still need to buy. Doing this saved me a lot of time and my sanity. I would divide the list into different sections such as: closet, bed, desk, bathroom, other. Bed bath & beyond also offers a college packing list that you can find here

If you haven’t already, I highly suggest you creating a Facebook account, or if you have one, joining the Muhlenberg Class of 2022 Facebook group. There you can connect with other classmates of yours, and even find a roommate if you don’t want to go random. Even if you decided to go random for you roommate, it’s always a good idea to reach out to some people who have common interests as you. Go ahead and post a description of things you’re interested in, and maybe even some pictures too! It’s a great start for you connecting with your classmates. I know it can be scary to reach out to a complete stranger, but I promise it’s worth it and it will make going into Orientation a little less scary.

As I’m writing this, I’m feeling quite nostalgic. As a current first year student, I was in your shoes not too long ago. This waiting stage of the process seems like the longest, but the best part. You will be moving onto campus so soon! Lastly, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me by email: erbruck@muhlenberg.edu. I am a Tour Guide and an Orientation Leader on campus, so I am very excited to see all of you in August!

Ella Bruck

Muhlenberg '21

Hi I'm Ella! I'm a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and a Media & Communications and Anthropology double major. I'm the Managing Editor and event coordinator for Her Campus at Muhlenberg. Some things about me: I love working out, travelling, and eating food (especially sushi)! 
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.