John Legend is the First Black Man to Achieve EGOT Status

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

John Legend achieved the highly coveted EGOT status on after his win at the Creative Arts Emmy on September 9th. At 39, Legend is now the first black man to win an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony- the biggest awards in the entertainment industry, and among the youngest to do so.

His Emmy win as the executive producer of “Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert,” secured his EGOT title, as he joins fourteen other highly acclaimed entertainers in the industry.

Legend began his journey to an EGOT in 2006 when he won his first Grammy for Best New Artist and Best R&B Album for Get Lifted and proceeded to claim ten more since. He won an Oscar for Best Original Song for “Glory” from the movie Selma in 2015 and a Tony for Best Revival of a Play for Jitney in 2017. Legend finished his EGOT run in twelve short years, and all eyes are on him as he goes up for another potential win for his performance as Jesus in the same musical at the Primetime Emmy’s Broadcast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnh1l6yhx1M/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

Legend ended the historic night with a post on Instagram: “Before tonight, only 12 people had won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony in competitive categories. Sirs Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice and I joined that group when we won an Emmy for our production of their legendary show Jesus Christ Superstar. So happy to be part of this team. So honored they trusted me to play Jesus Christ. So amazed to be in such rarefied air. #EGOT.”

Lisha Rabeje

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg '21. Psychology / Education.  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.