This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

College is the perfect time to branch out and explore someplace new. While your parents may be begging you to stay close to home and your friends might be looking to take a safer route, going out of state for college may be a great choice for you. While I recognize that not everyone can afford to go down this path, I believe that my choice to study far from home was one of the greatest decisions I could have made. Whether you’re already booking your flight cross-country or are still on the fence, here is my advice to future out of state college students.

You will miss home, no matter how much you think you’re not going to.

Growing up, I went to sleepaway camps and spent many weeks at my grandparents’ house in Texas without my parents, so I was no stranger to being away from home. Though I love my home state, I was ready to branch out in order to gain new perspective and to grow as an artist and a person. The closest I looked was 562 miles away. About a month into school, I realized just how homesick I was. I missed seeing my family every day, and most of my friends were still in high school. I missed green chili, rocky mountain sunsets, and dry desert air. I watched all of my college friends go home for four day weekends and while I was stuck until Thanksgiving. For awhile, this really stung me, considering I had never felt an inkling of homesickness before, and was so eager to get out. As I began to adjust to my newly found east-coast life, the homesick feelings wore away. I still get nostalgic thinking of my hometown, but I’ve found a new life where I am now. Once you adjust, you will learn to love both places equally.

Make friends with other out of state and international students.

Finding kids from far away may be difficult, but making those connections is absolutely essential. Those kids are in the exact same boat and, chances are, they feel the exact same way. Having one out of state and one international roommate really aided in my adjustment, as we were able to confide our feelings about missing home in each other. Plus, it’s always fun and exciting whenever you meet a rare person from your home state. Getting to know a brand new place is a much better experience when you have people by your side who are just as lost and clueless as you are, trust me.

Keep the connections you want to keep and sever the ones you don’t.

It’s important to recognize who you wish to keep in touch with after high school. It may not end up being a lot of people, and that’s okay. People go their separate ways in life. Taking the time to keep those important connections, will mean the world to those you care about. It’s also important to figure out who you may not want to be a part of your life anymore. It’s okay to let go of the people in your life who are toxic or counterproductive to your growth as a human being. Not every disconnection has to go down in flames, as long as you communicate effectively and let the person know what has been grinding your gears. You may feel like you’re hurting their feelings, and maybe they will feel hurt. In the end, they will appreciate your honesty, as opposed to dragging out a dead end friendship and leading them on.

Lastly, take time to check in with your family.

Your family is the reason you’re able to make this choice in the first place. They put in hard work to make sure you grew up with knowledge in your head and kindness in your heart. You may be thrilled at your new-found independence (I certainly know I was), but don’t forget about your #1 fans back home. Call your parents, your siblings, grandparents, or anybody you care about. You don’t have to call everyday or even every week, but just check in and let them know you’re safe and update them on the exciting things in your life. College can get pretty busy, but your loved ones will definitely appreciate you taking the time out of your crazy schedule to give them a ring. It’s the little things that let them know how much you value them.

Take a deep breath, and know that the future is what you make of it. It can be scary to leave home, to cross the threshold from the familiar to the unfamiliar. However, if the decision to leave home is truly the right one for you, you will never regret that choice. Remember that home will always be just a plane ride away.

Sophia is a junior theatre major and creative writing minor at Muhlenberg College. She is also very passionate about writing, reading, and politics.
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.