Her Campus Logo Her Campus Logo

How Your Diet Affects Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

For years, doctors have explored the connection between diet and the state of one’s skin. It is no surprise that there is, in fact, a huge correlation between what you eat and how your skin looks. Although there is a relationship between diet and skin, “Food is only about 25% of the picture when it comes to acne. The other 75% is influenced by hormones, stress, sleep levels, and where you live.” Although there isn’t a superfood to completely get rid of acne, some foods can aggravate and even contribute to clearing your skin. So what foods should you and should you not eat?

Foods to Eat

Vitamin A

Vitamin A is one of the best things to eat for clear skin. It is the key ingredient in Accutane which is one of the most effective acne treatments. Salmon, broccoli, and carrots all contain high levels of Vitamin A, so it would be a good idea to incorporate more of those into your diet.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Omega-3 stop certain molecules from causing inflammation and skin problems. Foods high in omega-3 include salmon, walnuts, and almonds.  


Drinking more water is probably one of the most effective ways to improve your skin. Adequate hydration flushes out the toxins in your body and is essential for skin regeneration.

Foods to Avoid


Dairy is known for aggravating acne. This is because it is used to promote growth in baby cows. In humans, dairy increases androgen levels, a male hormone that increases sebum production, which leads to acne.

Simple Sugars

Foods with a high glycemic index can cause breakouts because of the high levels of insulin. High insulin levels are also linked to high androgen levels which increases sebum production which, as mentioned before, leads to acne.

Emily Garber

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg College Content Editor